My First Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vwa3guy

vwa3guy

I wasn't going to post this on here but I got enough positive feedback on facebook so here it is. It's a simple stack I created starting with the amboyna burl and just went from there. I used pine as the light color and as soon as I applied the CA finish I just knew it was not what I wanted. The color isn't uniform and I'm not sure if it's just the nature of pine or it didn't soak in the wood uniformly or what but if I could redo it I would have used holly or maple. This was my first full size pen and I really love it. I might keep it for myself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I think your segmenting look great! Personally, I'd like the pen better if the barrel had a little less belly, but that's just me. It is a really classy looking pen.

Regards,
Michael

jttheclockman

That is some nice segmenting. I too like a highend pen kit without any belly. That kit is big enough that adding more bulk to it takes away from the value of the kit in my opinion. keep the pens coming and thanks for showing. By the way this site rules over FB any time. :)

vwa3guy

thanks for the comments! My personal style has always been "abnormal" to say the least. When I first started out I was doing everything BUT straight pens. It's kind of stuck with me. The pictures really exagerate how thick it really is. at the peak of the body it's only 2/16" larger than the cap. I hadn't really noticed much belly at all until I took those photos it's kind of weird. I have 3 more to test on though so I will definitely do at least 1 as straight as I can get!

jttheclockman

A little trick to doing straight B to B pens is take a straight edge ( I use a metal rule) and place it across bushings and you will see the high spots right away and turn down till it is straight across. I always refer people to the big name pen brands and you never see bulging pens. Everyone develops a style though. Good luck.

mecompco

A little trick to doing straight B to B pens is take a straight edge ( I use a metal rule) and place it across bushings and you will see the high spots right away and turn down till it is straight across. I always refer people to the big name pen brands and you never see bulging pens. Everyone develops a style though. Good luck.

John, that is a great idea--way faster than using the digital calps. Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom