My first deer antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Here is and under over from PSI. Deer antler on top and bottom. The customer grabbed it so quick I didn't have time to put it in the light tent fr a decent photo. Here's a few cell phone pics. The smell wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from reading othr posts. Finish is layers of CA.

I will definitely be making a few more of these. I would like to have one in my personal collection.

Hope the attachments work.

2012-04-26 17.33.16.jpg

2012-04-26 17.29.25.jpg

2012-04-26 17.26.58.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TxDade

That is a sharp looking pen! Great job. I need to try an antler style and that kit looks like it is pretty well made. Are you happy with the quality of the Over/Under kit from PSI?

MartinPens

I thought the kit was solid. There was one section that needed glue because the press fit was too loose. And the engraving on the top of the shotgun cap read "PSI 12 GA". That took a little away from what a normal shell would read. The shotgun clip is a nice touch. Overall it is a very heavy pen. Too heavy when posted for my sake, but I don't care for posted pens in general. The customer was thrilled with it.

MartinPens

Thanks for the comments everyone. CA finish worked well. Started with thin, which was just sucked up by the marrow. Eventually moved to medium. Takes many coats with the absortion rate. Maybe there is a way to seal it before starting the CA finish? Open to comments/suggestions.

jjjaworski

Very nice pen. I found that antler wasn't all that bad either. I didn't find the smell to be intolerable. It's all relative I suppose. I also went with CA for a finish after the first one I did.

I'm thinking of ways to use the smaller tip sections since that is pretty solid .

Jim

MartinPens

warthog said:
What I would really like to know is how much your client paid for the pen.

My "client" is a friend and he was gifting it to a long time friend, so I gave him a break on the price. If I were selling it on my web site I would have priced it at $150.

GReat looking pen!! Very rustic.
$150.00 ? If I were to try and sell one for that much on my site/ETSY/show, I would still have it 10 years later. I would be lucky to get $70.00

Top Bottom