My First Decal pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

These things can be addictive so far I've used up both sheets in the starter set here is my Happiness bringer, (Kokopeli) for all you Anglo folks
It's done on some Curly Maple on a Diplomat from Exoticblanks and unfortunately is finished with Lacquer, I'm sure this is not as durable as CA but with the decals I don't think CA is an option,

Attachments

• Kokopelli-Diplomat.jpg
    Kokopelli-Diplomat.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 397
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Nice, From the looks of it I don't think it will be your last. I have done a few of the decal pens from kids tattoos to printed decal paper and all I use is CA. I start with thin CA and use one of the small plastic parts bags to spread it out with the lathe on the slowest speed then add more layers (after drying) to hide the edges. Sand and polish.

bitshird

Nice, From the looks of it I don't think it will be your last. I have done a few of the decal pens from kids tattoos to printed decal paper and all I use is CA. I start with thin CA and use one of the small plastic parts bags to spread it out with the lathe on the slowest speed then add more layers (after drying) to hide the edges. Sand and polish.

Max are you spraying the decals with the Testors Lacquer of Krylon Acrylic, I hate using Lacquer for a finish I like selling something I can rely on. I just bought 25 sheets of Papilon <sp> paper, it's supposed to be the best. But they recommend using their own fixative. which pours on a you spread it.

Padre

These things can be addictive so far I've used up both sheets in the starter set here is my Happiness bringer, (Kokopeli) for all you Anglo folks
It's done on some Curly Maple on a Diplomat from Exoticblanks and unfortunately is finished with Lacquer, I'm sure this is not as durable as CA but with the decals I don't think CA is an option,

What kind of decal paper did you use?

DozerMite

Banned
You can use any clear acrylic. I've used Krylon, Rustoleum, and even the cheap no-name stuff among some others. All have worked fine.

Careful spraying it on too thick. It makes it harder to apply and finish. It throws it out of balance when spinning and causes the CA to skip. Just spray a light coat... just enough to cover the ink and seal it. I think that works the best.

maxman400

Max are you spraying the decals with the Testors Lacquer of Krylon Acrylic, I hate using Lacquer for a finish I like selling something I can rely on. I just bought 25 sheets of Papilon <sp> paper, it's supposed to be the best. But they recommend using their own fixative. which pours on a you spread it.[/quote]

I use the Krylon, I also use Avery's Business card program because you can drop any photo in to it and not distort it, then adjust to the size you want.
I don't make a master in the program, I work on just the single tabs that way I can work on more than one project at a time then print them all at once.

bitshird

Padre, this first batch is done with the Testors starter pack, but I have found waht is supposed to be a much better paper by Papilio it's quite a bit more expensive but by all accounts I've read is a better product.
Glad to find out that CA can be applied over these.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
That really looks cool! Great job. I can't tell from here about the finish. Does the laquer feel different than a CA finish?

Ken you better be carefull it is not happiness, the Kokipelli is for fertillity.:biggrin:

Rick_G

Ken if you are using the same decal sheets I am you are using the lacquer to get a clear background. I use one coat of oil based wipe on poly to get the clear background then several coats of CA. Seems to work fine and no problems so far.

bitshird

Ken you better be carefull it is not happiness, the Kokipelli is for fertillity.:biggrin:

That's why he's the happiness bringer :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: on the cliff at Chaco Canyon it isn't a flute he is holding either!!!

Cathy I don't like the feel of a Lacquer finish perhaps after a 2 week cure time after the the vehicle and solvents are dried it could be buffed, but I would rather have a CA finish, it has a nice gloss but I'm not sure about the durability, we are doing some POW pens and contributing 15.00 of each sale to the Fisher House Foundation, so I want the pens to last.

Last edited:

Padre

Do you use the glossy clear vinyl sticker paper or the waterslide decal or the rub on decal?

Padre, this first batch is done with the Testors starter pack, but I have found waht is supposed to be a much better paper by Papilio it's quite a bit more expensive but by all accounts I've read is a better product.

bitshird

Do you use the glossy clear vinyl sticker paper or the waterslide decal or the rub on decal?

Chip we used the waterslide decal, it seemed to be the easier of the lot.

Padre

Thank you!!!!

Chip we used the waterslide decal, it seemed to be the easier of the lot.

Top Bottom