My first custom fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Greetings
I wanted to get back into using a fountain pen at work so I made a Vertex FP with a Heritance nib. I could't use the pen, it wasn't comfortable.I couldn't find a place to grip the pen. So I abandoned that pen and made a Prestina.

I decided to design an FP with the Vertex section and the Heritance nib. I had a couple design requirements learned from my previous pens. The pen had to be smooth with no threads near the grip or large diameter changes. Also, it had to hold two cartridges. I sketched a design, made a wood form prototype, made some adjustments, and made a clear working prototype. I used it for a while at work to make sure I liked it.

I bought some MAZZUCCHELLI Cebloplast for the cap and body and black alumilite for the grip section.

Machining and tapping were straight forward. I did all the drilling and tapping on the lathe. MM ed then buffed.

I was disappointed with the alumilite, it has pinholes in it.

The pen writes nicely and is comfortable to use. I like the design and wouldn't change much except to make sure I don't crack the cap like I did.

Weight: 14 g
Length capped 5.5 inches
length uncapped: 5.1 inches
diameter 0.45 inches

This is the first time I used a light tent and HDR.

As always comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• pen4a 3.jpg
    pen4a 3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 440
  • pen4a 2.jpg
    pen4a 2.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 443
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice job. I've been thinking about making a fountain pen, I used one just a few years ago when I was in third grade. Your outstanding pen has given be even more insendtive to do so.

SDB777

HDR works well for this, no shadows and no blowout highlights....

The pen is great! And I'm sure you'll be getting some of those, "What is that?" questions from folks that see you using it! A beauty!!!!

Scott (neighbor needs to get his dog in...bark, bark, bark) B

Bocere1

Very nice. I like solutions that move the thread out of the grip area.

Do you have concerns about future scratches or rings around the barrel as the user turns the cap back on hunting for the thread?

Penultimate

Very nice. I like solutions that move the thread out of the grip area.

Do you have concerns about future scratches or rings around the barrel as the user turns the cap back on hunting for the thread?

Yes, I considered that. I thought of putting an Aluminum ring where the cap meets the body to avoid radial scratches. In the end I decided to stop stressing about that detail and make the pen. Since it is my everyday pen I will see how it lasts. The photos were taken after about two months daily usage.

Top Bottom