My first custom finial...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

brownsfn2

This is a first for me. I really liked the blue color on this blank and thought it was a great time to try a custom finial. I was able to do it in the first try. I was pretty proud of myself.

I am only unhappy with one part of it. I should have chosen the material for the finial from the end of the blank near the cap. I think it would have matched better. I did not leave enough material for that though.

I hope to try another soon. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Den

I think it looks better in the deep blue (rather than closer to the end of the cap which would be whiter)
It's a great improvement on the nondescript original.
Shapes just right too!
Regards,
John

walshjp17

Very nicely done. As mentioned by others, the darker blue for the finial really sets it off.

How difficult is it to pop out the stock finial cap?

hewunch

Classy! I think it looks wonderful!

John, it is not hard at all. Transfer punch and something soft to lay the finial on and you are set.

brownsfn2

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as popping out the Finial goes... I tried with a center punch and some soft pliers first. I did not get anywhere. Then I took a hand drill and drilled it out. Probably not the best way. :)

I think there is a tutorial on the library about how to pop them out but I was too lazy to get on my PC and look it up.

The drill got the job done though. It was really fun to make. Keeps it fresh to try new things.

Top Bottom