My first colored pencil pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stuckinohio

stuckinohio

Well, here's my first attempt at making a colored pencil pencil. I like it. I made some mistakes gluing it together by not getting one or two of them tight against each other. Next one will be better!

Attachments

• colored pencil pencil1.jpg
    colored pencil pencil1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 334
  • pencil pencil front.jpg
    pencil pencil front.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 307
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Nice job! These are not easy at all. I've battled a few myself. If I wasn't glueing the lead back in after it worked out of the pencil, I was cleaning smeared colors off the other pencils from sanding. You did well! Good job!

stuckinohio

Nice job! These are not easy at all. I've battled a few myself. If I wasn't glueing the lead back in after it worked out of the pencil, I was cleaning smeared colors off the other pencils from sanding. You did well! Good job!

Thank you.

I started to have trouble with the smearing and had a piece of two pop out too, so I soaked it with CA when I was coming close to the correct diameter. I'm pretty happy and surprised with it.

I was able to put the parts that popped out under the clip and hid them.

stuckinohio

I need to find some more. The wife wants one too!

Last time I cut the pencils into 1 inch pieces and glued together. It was difficult to get right. This time I'm gonna use whole pencils, in hopes that it will be more manageable!

JohnU

I ordered some off amazon that were crayola brand but they were round. I put mine diagonally to take less stress off the pen l old when turning so they cut down the chance I a blowout. Not sure if it made a difference but the pieces are longer that way. I cast mine in alumilite but ca seems to do the trick so why make more of a mess. Lol. I made sure to clean them up real good with denatured alcohol before I put the ca finish on. I had to glue a few colored leads back in myself. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 182

stuckinohio

Do you have a finished picture? I like the idea of alumilite too, since you do t have to be precise.
Guess you could pack the hexagon pencils in a mold and glue also, as long as they are packed in
Tight?

JohnU

Until I find some spare time to turn one for myself, this is the only picture I have of the group I made. Shortly after this picture they all found a new home with my sons teachers.

I like casting them because I get 4 blanks at once. You just want to make sure you wipe them off with alcohol and hear them before casting so the alumilite sticks to them. The first group I did, the resin broke away from them as I turned them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Top Bottom