My First Color Fill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from melogic

Status
Not open for further replies.

melogic

Here is a picture of my first color fill pen. It is a Platinum Polaris Pen with an Indigo Dymondwood Color blank from River Ridge Products. I finished the pen with a friction shellac home brew (3 coats) then TSW. After filling with Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic Paint (iridescent bright silver), I put 2 more coats of friction shellac finish and another coat of TSW. Comments Welcome.

200672015429_Blue%20Leaf%20resized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Here's one that may be a little better Jimgo. The pen actually has a lot more shine to it than the picture shows. It is also a very nice B2B fit, but it looks different in the picture, I think. This is for a guy that I work with. He just started his own recording studio.

200672023015_blue%20leaf%20white%20resized.jpg
<br />

angboy

Originally posted by Penmonky
<br />Nice, did you do the words too?

I was wondering this too? Did you find it hard to do the color fill part? If that part isn't too hard and the expense isn't that much, then I'm wondering if it would be more economical to have the engraving done and then do your own colorfill? Do you have an opinion on that? Thanks!

laserturner

Nice job on the colorfill Mark.
As an engraver who does a bunch of colorfill, I would encourage anyone getting their work engraved to try doing their own colorfill. My charge for colorfill on a pen is $3. Gets expensive if you're doing several. It's basically a wipe on/wipe off procedure. The colorfill material (paste consistancy acrylic paint) remains in the engraved areas and wipes right off the finished, unengraved area. The pen must be finished to avoid having to resand the pen and run the risk of sanding away a portion or all of the engraving.
Anybody want to try for themselves, send me a small brown mailer with a $.63 stamp on it and I'll send you a maple pen box lid with some sample engraving on it for you to practise colorfilling. Go to any artist supply store ( Michael's, Jo-Annes, etc.) and pick up a small tube of artists acrylic paint (probably gold or silver as I've found those are the most popular colorfill colors).

mick

Originally posted by laserturner
<br /> Go to any artist supply store ( Michael's, Jo-Annes, etc.) and pick up a small tube of artists acrylic paint (probably gold or silver as I've found those are the most popular colorfill colors).

Ken,is there any difference in the tubes of "artist" acrylics and the bottles of acrylic "craft" paint also sold at Michaels?

laserturner

In my experience as long as its acrylic and a paste consistancy it should be fine. Thin paint has a tendancy to bleed. The Liquitex brand that Mark used is excellent and readily available at all the art and craft stores.

melogic

What Ken said is exactly how I did it. I then put 2 more coats of a friction shellac over the entire pen after colorfill to protect the paint. I had a local friend do the engraving for me. I then assembled the pen after all of this was complete.

rpasto92

not to discourage anyone from trying this, but I have had nothing but bad luck doing colorfill. Bleading, incomplete paint removal from places I don't want paint, dulling of finish...you name it. I only say this as a warning to those who have not tried it...don't get an expensive piece of pink ivory (or any other expensive wood) engraved and expect perfect results your first try. Experiment on something cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom