My first Cocobolo Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KKingery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Well, this is my first use of Cocobolo. No wonder everyone seems to like it.....I love the grain on the lower barrel especially. I think that's another reason I like making my barrels just a bit fat at the end - it helps showcase grain such as this. I'm still having a little trouble getting my upper barrels to come out just to the right size. I always seem to make them just a tad too fat at the centerband. Oh well, that will come with practice. Right now, I'm working to improve my finishing....this was sanded with 150, 220, 320 - then CA applied, then back to 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1500 & 2000 grits, then the ol' friction polish, finally topped off with Minwax paste finishing wax. It's unbelievable how many 1 inch strips of sand paper you can use on one pen!

2004121035829_1st%20Cocobolo.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Great job, Ken.

As for meeting the centerband exactly, I discarded the idea a long time ago!!! The only critical part is the lower barrel where it meets the tip of the pen. The others I turn a hair oversize (a hair is 1/2 of a tad ...) and just round/taper the edge when sanding.

One of my pen turning tools is a CALIPER. Not the fancy new ones with the dial or digital readout, but the old type that can be bought for about $7. For such small item as a pen barrel it is much better than the curved leg calipers. I set it to the diameter I want, and lock it, then use to make sure parts match.

Keep up the good work, Ken !

KKingery

Hey Fred, that's a good idea. I have looked at a few calipers, but was'nt really sure I needed one. I think that NOW is when I do need one! It all comes with practice.......and more practice.....and more practice..... -

jkirkb94

Great looking pen, Ken. I agree that cocobolo is a fantastic wood to work with. Rich looking. My highest selling pen was made with cocobolo. Plus it can be bought cheap. Do be careful working with it. It is one of the toxic woods. Recent heard of a guy who broke out in fluid filled sores on his arms after working with it. Kirk[8D]

KKingery

Hey, thanks for the tip Kirk......where were you BEFORE I started it?? Just kidding....no problems......I will keep that in mind though. I'm usually pretty cautious anyway, due to my allergies. I always wear dust mask, eye wear and ear muffs......my shop vac I have to use as a dust and dirt collector is louder than a jet engine!

Gary

The dark red cocobolo with purple to black veining that you see is usually from South America. The cocobolo from Mexico is the orange with dark veining.

wayneis

Ken I use the digital caliper, it has a lock and it is only about ten or twelve bucks. One reason that I like the digital is that on some kits the instructions tell you where to use which bushing by size.

Kirk nare you sure that it was Cocobolo? I have a list of toxic woods and their reactions and the fluid filled sores are not according to the list associated with Cocobolo. In fact most reactions are are respitory type. Also from what I've read on the subject most any wood can give someone a reaction without the proper precautions.

Wayne

Gregory Huey

Very Nce pen. I use a set of 1' micrometers to keep an eye on fits. Probably over kill but dose give very precise fits. You could save yourself a little time and a few bucks by sanding to 400 then using Micro Mesh.
Greg

KKingery

I think I must have alot of the Mexican Cocobolo in this batch then....there's alot of pieces that just look orange to me. I was a bit surprised when I got it....I was expecting wood that was dark.....still though, it looks cool. I guess I'll run over to the Harbor Freight store tomorrow and take a look at some of their calipers. When you use the caliper on a slimline pen, I assume you would just set it for the bushing size? Or do you set it just a bit larger, to account for sanding?

Scottydont

Nice pen! Get yourself a digital caliper. Harbor Freight regularly has them on sale. That will help you zero in on those.
The too fat thing on slimlines are common because the centerbands are smaller than the bushings. Hence the reason for my measurement process.

wayneis

Set the caliper size ti the kit part size, NOT the bushing size. Bushings are very seldom the correct sizes, they may not seem to be off by much but it doesn't take much to show up.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom