My first closed end tortoise fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrburls

mrburls

This is my first attempt at a closed end pen. I learned alot during this attempt. Was going to be a rollerball but about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch to short after drilling my second hole for the spring. Was afraid till I cleaned up the end the hole might show so went with a fountain pen. Used the Arizona Silhouette mandrel. Went so well decided to do the cap end also. Used an El Grande Elite center band. I liked the look without a clip so left it that way. My next attempt I want to thread my own threads to do away with the centerband.
The material I used was tortoise acrylic. Overall I was happy with my first try at this.

Keith "mrburls"

Attachments

• DSCN3357.jpg
    DSCN3357.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN3360.jpg
    DSCN3360.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

That's nice. I have a tortoise shell blank that I am waiting to use. I want to do the same thing, but I've only done one closed end and it didn't turn out like I planned. Your's looks great!

mrburls

Thanks for positive comments guys.
The tortoise blank came from Craft Supplies USA.
The profile of pen just came to me as I was turning. I knew I wanted some sort of curve towards the nib end and it just turned from there.
I was amazed how light weight the pen is without the metal ends. I definately will be making more. It just is more satisfying when finished than pressing parts together.

Keith "mrburls"

Top Bottom