My First Closed End/Cap Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akbar24601

akbar24601

Well, after years..maybe even decades of gentle prodding by Keith(VisExp) to take advantage of closed end pens, reluctantly I've finally done it. My goodies from Arizona Silhouette showed up today and I had to give 'em a try. The wood is some very nice Spalted Persimmon that I received from Cris(CNirenberg). Thank you Cris and thank you Keith for suggesting moving in this direction. I like it and look forward to doing more. Especially some segmented ones!!!

The kit is an GoldTi Jr. Gent II. The finish is CA.

Thank you for looking. I value and welcome any and all comments :good:

Attachments

• Spalted Persimmon - Closed End and Cap 2.jpg
    Spalted Persimmon - Closed End and Cap 2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 257
  • Spalted Persimmon - Closed End and Cap Open.jpg
    Spalted Persimmon - Closed End and Cap Open.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

Thank you all for the kind words!

I haven't taken the plunge yet .. too chicken.

Yours looks great..

Don't be chicken Charlie. It really isn't that bad. As a matter of fact, right now when you buy any two or more closed end mandrels from Arizona Silhouette you get the free DVD by YoYoSpin on how to turn closed end pens. I haven't watched mine yet but I am sure that it is full of usefull goodies.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Don't be chicken Charlie. It really isn't that bad. As a matter of fact, right now when you buy any two or more closed end mandrels from Arizona Silhouette you get the free DVD by YoYoSpin on how to turn closed end pens. I haven't watched mine yet but I am sure that it is full of usefull goodies.

Ah .. I was making the mandrel ala Skiprat.

I got as far as buying a bolt.. :tongue:

hewunch

Steve, I hope you enjoyed it. Because you did a great job. Now lets shave that centerband and hide that clip.

maxman400

OUTSTANDING!!! for not watching the DVD yet. When all else fails, follow the directions. (LOL) I don't think you need them Great looking pen.

jkeithrussell

I haven't taken the plunge yet .. too chicken.

Yours looks great..

With the closed-end mandrels from Arizona Silhouette, it's a piece of cake. Order 2 mandrels and you get a free instructional DVD. Watch the DVD on 2x fast forward and you will know everything you need to know in about 30 minutes.

cnirenberg

Ah .. I was making the mandrel ala Skiprat.

I got as far as buying a bolt.. :tongue:

Charlie,
I have tried the bolt/pin chuck method, but the AS mandrel is the shizzle to the popizzle(at least the kids tell me). All you have to do is figure on which pen you want to turn and get the matching mandrel. I think Ben (Davinci??) made up a shim system for the std. 7mm closed end and it worked out good for him.

Top Bottom