My first Cigar: Amboyna w/ sapwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from punkinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkinn

I was pretty happy with how this turned out; it's a gift for my boyfriend and the second Cigar I turned (the first ended up with an "oops" band of Nigerian Ebony). This is the only blank in the last shipment I rec'd that had sapwood in it at all. Not too bad for one of my first pens ever. :)

tn_amboynacigar.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I know it isn't perfect, but I would be interested in the thoughts of the vastly more experienced. ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

punkinn

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />All I can say is beautiful!
If I may ask where did you purchase the wood?

Ron, I got this batch from CSU and asked specifically for sapwood inclusions but only rec'd one out of eight with the lighter wood. Oh well, at least they sent me ONE! [;)] Thank you for your kind comment!

Thumbs

Great! [8D] If that boyfriend of yours doesn't go nuts over this, you need to have a long serious talk with that guy! [:(!][}:)] Or find a new more appreciative one![;)]

JimGo

That is a beautiful piece of wood, and a great pen! If he doesn't like it, you can send it to me...I'd hate to have it sitting around, reminding you of any frustrations with him. [:D]

punkinn

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />That is a beautiful piece of wood, and a great pen! If he doesn't like it, you can send it to me...I'd hate to have it sitting around, reminding you of any frustrations with him. [:D]

Such generous, thoughtful, considerate folks in this forum! [;)]

Thanks!
Nancy

Great looking pen. I'll have to keep an eye out for some sapwood!

what does the "lambda" mean on the kit? I have one kit (pencil) with that; I thought it was because it was platinum but the matching pen is supposed to be platinum as well and it does not have the lambda.

Tea Clipper

Originally posted by BillATsetelDOTcom
<br />
what does the "lambda" mean on the kit? I have one kit (pencil) with that; I thought it was because it was platinum but the matching pen is supposed to be platinum as well and it does not have the lambda.

I think it represents CSU's Artisan brand.

Nancy- that is a great looking pen! The amboyna + sapwood is terrific, and I'm not a sapwood fan. After seeing this pen, I may have to reconsider. [:)]

gerryr

Really nice work and beautiful work. There's someone who sells Amboyna with sapwood on eBay. The stuff looks nice but it isn't cheap.

punkinn

<br />Great looking pen. I'll have to keep an eye out for some sapwood!

Bill, I think the lambda is actually a styled "A" for Artisan; at least that's what I thought.

Nancy

punkinn

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />
<br />

I think it represents CSU's Artisan brand.

Nancy- that is a great looking pen! The amboyna + sapwood is terrific, and I'm not a sapwood fan. After seeing this pen, I may have to reconsider. [:)]

Thanks so much, Ron. [:)] I didn't think there would be that much of the sapwood inclusion once I started turning; it appeared to cover just one corner of the blank, but I sure got a nice surprise. It rather looks like a river / geographic feature on a topographical map! It also reminds me of a cowry shell (Cypraea mappa), the map cowry, which has designs very much like that on it's shell (I used to be an obsessive seashell collector - lol).

Nancy

punkinn

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Really nice work and beautiful work. There's someone who sells Amboyna with sapwood on eBay. The stuff looks nice but it isn't cheap.

Gerry, do you know his eBay name? I've looked on there a few times... I want to keep an eye out for some nice stock with inclusions like that. (that "not cheap" part sucks! [:(!])

Thanks a lot!
Nancy

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nancy,

Great work! The only problem is how are you going to top this pen with your next one. [:)] I have a couple of pieces of Amboyna with sapwood, and now I really want to do somthing with them. In fact, I have a Baron almost through the finishing stages with a piece of it.

Welcome to the forum and keep up the great work.

punkinn

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Nancy,

Great work! The only problem is how are you going to top this pen with your next one. [:)] I have a couple of pieces of Amboyna with sapwood, and now I really want to do somthing with them. In fact, I have a Baron almost through the finishing stages with a piece of it.

Thanks very much! I'd love to see your Baron (in progress or finished, either one). I figure this pen is probably my 15 seconds in the limelight for a while! [;)] I do love experimenting with different shapes though, so maybe something interesting will 'turn' up. hee hee [:eek:)]

Nancy

woodwish

"I didn't think there would be that much of the sapwood inclusion once I started turning; it appeared to cover just one corner of the blank, but I sure got a nice surprise. It rather looks like a river / geographic feature on a topographical map! It also reminds me of a cowry shell (Cypraea mappa), the map cowry, which has designs very much like that on it's shell (I used to be an obsessive seashell collector - lol). "

That is the magic of turning to me, every piece of wood is a mystery to be read on the lathe. Even the ugliest blanks seem to be beautiful when turned, although I will agree some are better than others. If the bofriend is not excited about this gift just swap it with a cheap plastic Bic or something, then you can use the good pen to cross him off your Christmas card list to start [;)] It is a beautful pen!

punkinn

Originally posted by woodwish
<br />"I didn't think there would be that much of the sapwood inclusion once I started turning; it appeared to cover just one corner of the blank, but I sure got a nice surprise. It rather looks like a river / geographic feature on a topographical map! It also reminds me of a cowry shell (Cypraea mappa), the map cowry, which has designs very much like that on it's shell (I used to be an obsessive seashell collector - lol). "

That is the magic of turning to me, every piece of wood is a mystery to be read on the lathe. Even the ugliest blanks seem to be beautiful when turned, although I will agree some are better than others. If the bofriend is not excited about this gift just swap it with a cheap plastic Bic or something, then you can use the good pen to cross him off your Christmas card list to start [;)] It is a beautful pen!

This constant "revealing" of the wood's character as you turn has already hooked me. At the woodworking shows, I used to stand and watch the turners almost in a trance. If I could afford it, I'd be out in the garage turning all day (but for some silly reason, people are expected to work to get paid - ack!)

Thank you very much for your kind comments. [:)] Have a great week!
Nancy

DWK5150

Nancy the guy on ebay his seller name is dwaincoats he usually has lots of stuff but not to much right now. Expensive but good I have bought from both of them before.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amboyna-Burl-Pen-Blanks-The-Cadillac-of-Burls_W0QQitemZ8231304407QQcategoryZ71234QQcmdZViewItem

or this guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/Premium-XL-Amboyna-Burl-exotic-wood-pen-blanks-lot-482_W0QQitemZ8244369645QQcategoryZ71234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these I have been watching since the beginning
http://cgi.ebay.com/EXOTIC-AMBOYNA-BURL-WITH-SAPWOOD-PEN-BLANKS-RARE_W0QQitemZ8242893819QQcategoryZ71234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

punkinn

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXOTIC-AMBOYNA-BURL-WITH-SAPWOOD-PEN-BLANKS-RARE_W0QQitemZ8242893819QQcategoryZ71234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks a lot Don. I saw the above auction this morning after reading the posts here. Wow, those are beautiful.
Nancy

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by punkinn
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Nancy,

Thanks very much! I'd love to see your Baron (in progress or finished, either one). I figure this pen is probably my 15 seconds in the limelight for a while! [;)] I do love experimenting with different shapes though, so maybe something interesting will 'turn' up. hee hee [:eek:)]

Nancy

Nancy,

Unfortunately I sent my brain on vacation while polishing. I had to reapply the Enduro so it will be a couple of days until I assemble it. [B)]

punkinn

Holy cow did you see how much that auction went for?? I'm stunned. Some beautiful blanks in there though.

Nancy

punkinn

Originally posted by nilsatcraft
<br />Awesome pen, Nancy! I love the blank as well and your turning looks terrific. Nice work on that!

Thanks Nils! Well you should love the blank, it was from CSU. [;)] hee hee The turning's not perfect, but it's a lot better than my last cigar in which half of one of the stabilized blanks flew off the mandrel when I tried to cut inward from the end (idiot). [:0][:(]

I really appreciate all the kind words from everyone! Thank you!
Nancy

Gadget

Nice work!! I too love the sapwood. I sell them on ebay. I have about 600 pcs left some avarage some outstanding and a few with sapwood. I wish that i could buy only ones with sapwod but thats not how it works. I buy 500 pcs and maybe 50 of them are sapwood. I sort them into 3 grades xf - with sapwood and lots of burl, avg - 75% or more burl and regular that is 50% or less burl. Sometimes im floored by what the sapwood sells for but it avarages out. If anyone needs some great blanks just check out my auctions at http://stores.ebay.com/Gadgets-Wood-Products_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZk
or contact me direct at mhuss1@comcast.net
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom