My First Casting, and a couple others

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Patio

Patio

Well, here is my first ever casting. I used Alumilite water clear, a pressure pot at 70 psi for 4 hours, and Paua Abalone for the blank. It's ok for my first casting but there are definitely some issues. For example, in the photos, if you look at the edges, it looks like it is delaminated, but its not. I do want to get a dryer for my air compressor as I think it likely introduced some condensation to the pressure pot. But I'm not sure what to do about the weird look at the edges of the body and cap. Any suggestions? Also, I turned up a couple of pens (Princetons from Woodcraft) and I do like the feel of the pen. The blue and white laminated pen has a CA finish and I'm fairly happy with it. C&C are welcome and any pointers and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Pat

Attachments

• DSCN0173[1].jpg
    DSCN0173[1].jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN0176[1].jpg
    DSCN0176[1].jpg
    336 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN0185[1].jpg
    DSCN0185[1].jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN0181[1].jpg
    DSCN0181[1].jpg
    317 KB · Views: 141
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Pens, Pat.
Love your cast Paua Abalone Blank.
Your Fit and Finish looks excellent.
What are you using to trim the end of the Blank to the Tube?
If you are using a blank trimmer, that could be causing some lamination on the ends of the Blanks, tearing on the shell.
Your Princeton turned out well.
Brian.

Patio

Hi Brian,

I actually was worried about using a pen mill and tearing the ends, so I sanded them flush on a disc sander.

Its really strange the effect that you get. If you look at the pen directly in the center, no matter what angle you have the pen, it looks great, however, if you look at the edges, its looks ghosted or delaminated so to speak. Its like the clear is refracting itself and it gives it that delaminated look.

The abalone that I used was in a flexible sheet that I was able to glue around the pen tube. The shells aren't truly flat so it has all these different angles as well, which I really like. Just concerned about the odd look on the horizontal edges.

Thanks for the nice comments, really appreciated!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Pat:

I'm not a real experienced caster (4 months), but. I have been casting at 40 PSI for 1 hr. with Alumilite. FWIW.

I can't see the "delaminating" in my pics, so no comment on that, although Brian had a nice thought!

BUT... I like the blanks you made! Very nice. On the final, did you laminate it? If so, nice job!

Be well!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Pat; Your castings looks fantastic to me, I really like the colors of the blank, your fit and finish looks really nice, well done, it made for a very nice pen. Your Princetons also look very nice, I like the first Princeton best. Fit and finish is great. Is the laminate blank wood? Keep up the great work.

Patio

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind words!

No it was a blank also purchased from Woodcraft. I really liked it and the finish turned out great although the picture doesn't really show how shiny it is. I'm not a photographer, but my wife is, so I should have her taking these pics!

Thanks for the pointers, I will also give that a try. I have a lot of trial and error to go through yet on the castings, but hopefully not too many errors!

Oh, the delamination I'm referring to is the clearness along the horizontal edges of the pen. I'm probably not using the right word there, but its how it kinda appears, but its actually not delaminated. Just an appearance kinda thing.

Thanks again!

Pat

Last edited:

Patio

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the kind words! Really appreciated!

Yes, the laminated one is wood. Its a blank I picked up at the local Woodcraft store. It turned really nicely and it was a fun one to turn. I too like the purple one, it has some good depth to it!

Thanks for all the comments, and for the advice today! Really appreciate it all!

Pat

Last edited:
Top Bottom