My first casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbswearingen

jbswearingen

Here's my first attempt at casting and then turning that casting. It's PR with Pearl Ex gold and silver. The tube and blank were painted gloss black before gluing. I'm still working on my lighting; this is darker than the pen actually is, but trying to lighten it in Canon Utilities starts to wash it out.

The pen kit is PSI's classic chrome kit.

Attachments

• DPP_0725 (Medium).jpg
    DPP_0725 (Medium).jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 175
  • DPP_0730 (Medium).jpg
    DPP_0730 (Medium).jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Brad

I am not picking on you so do not take this the wrong way. But how are we suppose to see that??? I can not tell what colors that is. I know you are trying and you mention some steps you took. Maybe look in the library about taking photos of your pens. There are helpful hints. I can not comment on the camera because I know nothing about cameras. But maybe shoot in a different light source like near a window to capture natual light instead of artificial or outside. Just suggestions man.

There has been talk about people giving rude or somewhat questionable comments about pens and photos here and there are some that really object to it. But when things like this appear what are we suppose to do??

I can suggest you take your photo over to a photo shop type site and tweak the colors and contrast and play with it if you are really interested in getting some type of real review and not just the generic "looks good" answer. I happen to use Picture It and this works well for me and I am sure others may suggest other sites too. This is what came with my computer.

Like I said do not take this as a slam. :):):):):):) ( did I put enough smiley faces in this time???)

Last edited:

plantman

I agree with John. You need either better lighting, or a better photo shop program. Look on the internet for free downloads, and in the library for photo tips. You don't have to take perfect photos, but you can make them look good with the proper software. C&C is not always kind, but it helps you make your work easier and look better. Jim S

jbswearingen

No offense taken at all, gents. I'll hunt down better lighting and reshoot. I don't understand why it's so dark, when the circumstances are very similar to this shoot:

580599_423854421023555_498404357_n.jpg

(edit)

I'm downloading and installing Picture It! now.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

A couple reason they are different. The orange color is brighter. The lighting is different. Just look at the background. Also the last photo was shot in macro or you got alot closer to the pen and the surrounding are did not absorb the light sorce. Definetly different setup or light source.

jbswearingen

A couple reason they are different. The orange color is brighter. The lighting is different. Just look at the background. Also the last photo was shot in macro or you got alot closer to the pen and the surrounding are did not absorb the light sorce. Definetly different setup or light source.

Similar, but not the same. Same lighting, though I played with the color temperature more. I did use a zoom lens to get in closer. I need to set up a room in my house just for shooting...wonder if the missus would allow it?

plantman

Brad; Check to see if your camera setting got changed. Above photo is excellent. May have changed from macro to closeup or portrait. Jim S

Last edited:

jbswearingen

Janster just pointed me at Ribbet! Online Photo Editor. I'm playing with the images now; she showed me some quick work with one of the shots I posted above. It looked much better than what I originally posted.

I'll update the originals once I figure it out. Thanks!

jbswearingen

How's this? Same image as above, cropped, lighting edited, and colors brought out a bit.

Attachments

• DPP_0774 (Large).jpg
    DPP_0774 (Large).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 119
I can see some of the color in the cap but not on the rest. Try taking it just with a white background and lets see what happens. Some colors just need white behind them?

jbswearingen

It's a white sheet of paper, but I think the box that my light box is made of (cardboard) is throwing off the white balance.

Top Bottom