My First Cartridge pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a 308 Cartridge pen made with Paua Abalone shell cast in PR . It was made for the Cartridge pen contest . It has Red , White and Blue , along with some silver and purple and gold and ...
I'm quite pleased about this one , it gives the cartridge pen some "Elegance" . I'm not as happy with the finish , it's not up the the standards I had originally planed but still very well polished , man , even new these cartridges are well textured .
This was a tough pen to build , I wish I could have spent a little more time on the details . This is actually the second design I was working on , the first was finial operated using a cigar transmission and Parker refill but would have taken way too much time to build so I used a 7mm transmission and a Cross refill .

1_pauacartridge2.jpg

1_pauacartridge.jpg

As always , comments are welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

very nice! If you aren't happy with it, you are welcome to send it to me. Did you make your own nib? (It doesn't look like a bullet)

cnirenberg

Butch,
I love it. I especially like the window with the PR. Great casting. Very cool looking pen indeed, you have a serious contender there.

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone . I never realized how hard it would be to make a cartridge pen . The cartridges I got are tapered both inside and out and the walls get thicker toward the primer end so cutting the window was tough and the thicker wall made it harder to center the window , so it's off center a little bit .
The abalone castings are the best I have done to date . The shell strips all meet perfectly , I hand sanded each strip to remove any rough edges and square the strips , then glued each strip to the tubes and made sure to fill the spaces under the edges of the strips with epoxy so there would be no place to trap air . Then after the glue dried overnight I sanded the entire tube assemblies to clean up all the joints . Then I cast the tubes WITHOUT a pressure pot using a technique like Don Ward is using . The casting came out perfect without any bubbles .
Overall this is one of the hardest pens I have ever made .

Jgrden

Here are some of my early attempts at cutting and filling a 30.06.

Attachments

• Bullet Casing Complete.jpg
    Bullet Casing Complete.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Bullet Casings Drilled.jpg
    Bullet Casings Drilled.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Bullet Casings Ground out.jpg
    Bullet Casings Ground out.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Pens - 512 SSR Bullet 2.jpg
    Pens - 512 SSR Bullet 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 215

YORKGUM

It looks like the kind of thing you could add a battery to and have some rotating colored lights inside.

Very cool pen. I want it.

Top Bottom