My first CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gmreeves

gmreeves

Here is one of my first pens since getting the turning bug last month. It is a Tycoon with Rhodium plating and a Cocobolo insert that had a nice section of sapwood in the cap.

CIMG5521.jpg

CIMG5529.jpg

CIMG5535.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gmreeves

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I guess it wasn't my first attempt at the CA finish but it was my second. The first one failed miserably when the paper towel fibers stuck in the thick CA I was trying to use. I went back to Mylands Friction polish for finishing some slim lines and researched further. For my second attempt and first successful attempt I used the method by the one and only Grub32 of applying the thin CA while the lathe is spinning and hitting it with Accelerator. I was a bit apprehensive at first because of watching so many different ways of applying CA. Do I use BLO, no BLO, Thick, Thin, in between, Fast, Slow, off, you name it. I thought that his method looked like a good quick way so that is what I did and I'm impressed. I did two more pens and had the same results except for one of them is cracking because the wood probably wasn't dry enough and is still changing.

PaulSF

I've had great success so far with that method. On occasion I've globbed on the CA and have needed to sand it down, but then I just apply 3 or 4 more coats and it's fine.

Top Bottom