My First Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobalu

Bobalu

This is my first attempt to turn a burl blank. Its maple burl on a gold Sedona. I usually turn my barrels with a bit more stock left on in the center, but I was making this for my wife, who prefers a slimmer pen. I did have some dicey times as I neared the final shaping, but remembered some advice seen here about applying CA to bolster the wood as it got thinner. I did get one chip on the upper barrel, but CA and shavings filled it in. The clip hides the eveidence. As for finish, I started with EEE Cream and polished with Shellawax. This didn't give me the luster I wanted, so ended up running it through my Beall buffer. Don't know why I didn't do it the way from the start. I think this is about the twelth pen I've made, but most of the earlier stuff was acrylic. Fell free to comment.

Attachments

• PA280240.JPG
    PA280240.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 283
  • PA280216.JPG
    PA280216.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Thanks Robin. I was hesitant about posting anything I've done so far, but decided to give it a go. Even though I'm only a beginner, I have sold about 4 of the 12 or so pens I've made. I still have a few, but the others were just given away to people I like. Looking forward to meeeting you at the next chapter meeting at Woodcraft, it I'm not out on the road somewhere.

Bob McCormick

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Looks good from here! Nice shape, good match up too.
Nothing wrong with being a beginner.We all started somewhere,
Besides.. with all the new projects people are coming up
with, even the old hands are beginners at some of it.

If you go for a wax finish, you might want something a bit
harder. The Shellawax will give a good shine, but it will
wear off quickly from handling. Skin oils are effective wax strippers.

Crashmph

Great job! She should surely like it. Most Sedona pens that I have sold to women like writing with the cap not posted. She may do the same.

Bobalu

Great looking pen. I like the frog too...

I've been paying attention to those who post photos with the pens sitting on some sort of prop. I ran across this frog at Hobby Lobby and thought it would be a good way to support the pen. Unfortunately, it is too slick to hold a pen at any angle. A tiny piece of DS tape fixed this. I'm thinking of using it as my avatar. Thanks for all the nice remarks everyone.

Rollerbob

Bob, appears you did this burl proud!! Fit and finish look spot on!! As Charlie(newlondon88) said, oils from the skin will wear the wax off pretty quick, but just re-wax and you're good to go, nice work.

darcisowers

nice looking pen. Like someone else posted, your wife may like writing with it without the cap - I think the pen is off balanced when I have the cap on my Sedona - but it's an easy fix to make it useable!

Good job!

Top Bottom