My first bullet pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TAld

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAld

OK OK OK here are a couple of pics of my very first bullet pens.
I know the photo quality is horrible!! but I will improve I promise.
I hope I got them down to an acceptable size if not please let me know. I shot them just lying on my bench no flash just light from my shop. The first is a 30-06 casing with the metal jacket bullet w/amboyna burl. The second one is from the IAP auction 308 casing w/walnut. I made the 308 first. Then the 30-06. Honest, they look really good in person! I am getting a 18% gray card in the morning and will build a lot box with lights.
2007413222942_IMG_0403_2.jpg

2007413223030_IMG_0409.jpg

any suggestions or criticism gladly accepted. Just don't make fun of the cheesy rifle clip :D:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Boomer

I like them. When I get to become a better and more experienced turner I am going to turn things like the bullet similar to what you have done here. I also want to them turn some pens with the arrow with camo. Nice job

clthayer

Nice job, I did a bunch of these at christmas time. Not sure about the gold with the nickel plate shell, but I really like the bullet look on the top one. I was actually at the gun shop today looking for bullets. Too bad they didn't have any hollow point .308s.

Christian

Nick

Very nice pens as well as the photos. Is there somewhere that has instructions for making these pens. I would like to try one
Thanks

TAld

Nick, just do a search on "casing" or "bullet" or go to the "library" (on this site of course) and there will be plenty to keep you busy for a while. I did not do a tutorial yet but I would be glad to. I am trying to get a light box set up today to do better on the pics. I did do mine a little different than anything I have read thus far by not having a wood core inside the casing just a straight brass tube all the way from the cap end to the base of the bullet. Tube is press fit using arbor press.
Thanks to all for the comments.

TAld

Gary,
I just finished doing a little experiment with the rifle clip. I put it on the Beall buffing system and buffed it using the tripoli and it took about 30 secs to buff the whole thing to chrome. Followed that w/white diamond then the wax and it looks great. No wonder the 24k gold wears off so quickly.

Sylvanite

I was actually at the gun shop today looking for bullets. Too bad they didn't have any hollow point .308s.
I've taken to using Hornady A-Max bullets in 30 (aka .308) caliber. They have a hollow point which is just the right size for a slimline refill. Just drill out (or pull) the plastic tip (and drill the bullet itself). MidSouth (www.midsouthshooterssupply.com) sells the 168g size for $21.26/box of 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom