My First Bulb Filler Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is My first bulb filler fountain pen with clear ink tank and a hooded nib . It uses a Hero 616 Chinese nib and feed (A Parker 51 copy) , some clear acrylic , some Alternative Black Marble and a Baron clip .
After seeing Brian Gray's bulb filler I decided I wanted to build a bulb filler fountain pen , so I did a bit of research on bulb filler pens and came up with this pen .
My favorite pen of all times was a Parker 51 Hooded nib fountain pen I had when I was in school , many moons ago , over the years the pen was lost . I've looked to replace it but have not been able to find one that I could afford . That pen is where I got my love for hooded nib fountain pens , they look very futuristic .
In my research I read about the Hero pen company in China and how they made several good writing copies of the Parker 51's so I ordered some from a company on ebay . After filling one with some kit ink and playing with it for a few days I decided to pull one apart and see if I could use the nib/feed to make a new pen and this is what I came up with after bit of work .
The front section was drilled in several steps to keep it as tight to the feed as possible (prevents the feed from drying out between uses) . The ink tank is just a piece of acrylic rod I got from my local hobby shop and was drilled to accept the nib/feed as a press fit and then polished inside and out . The Blank is some Alternative Black Marble from Dawn and Ed at Exotic blanks . The clip is from a kit :eek: because I couldn't find a clip to fit the cap . The bulb filler is a piece of the sac from the donor pen that I cut to fit inside the blind cap but is only temporary until I can get a smooth ink sac (this one leaks a little because of the ribs inside it) .

1_bulbfiller1.jpg

1_bulbfiller2.jpg

1_bulbfiller3.jpg
1_bulbfiller4.jpg
1_bulbfiller5.jpg

Overall this pen is a joy to write with . It lays down a nice wet line and the nib writes very smoothly for a fine point .

As always , comments welcome .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I understand your love of the Parker 51. It is the same pen that I had as a kid and it started my love affair with fountain pens. Your pen looks very much like a parker. I really like hooded nib. I also like the black and white photos.

ldb2000

Thanks Cindy . The photos are in color but the subject is black and white ... lol . I have tried to make hooded nib pens but never had the right kind of nib/feeds to pull it off , until now . The Hero nib/feed really writes nicely , not quite as smooth as the 51's but close enough to enjoy .

ldb2000

Thanks Jeff and Mark . Yes Jeff it was allot of work , it took over two weeks of designing and turning . I broke the clear ink tank three times at different stages , that's why this one is not as well polished on the inside and destroyed two other blanks I tried to use , the hooded nib cover was a royal pain to do , it gets very thin in places . This pen was destined to become mine anyway so the finish could have a couple of flaws , I'll know better what to do with the next one .

ldb2000

Thanks folks .
Chuck , patience is not one of my strong points , I almost threw in the towel several times on this one but then I looked a Brian's pen again and pushed on . Besides I wanted a P51 or something close so I had to finish it . Next is a button filling version .

Rollerbob

Well there you go, another spectacular rendition. When I grow up, I'm going to challenge myself to do that!! Nice work, Butch.

Texatdurango

Neat! Have you found a good source for sac's in the states? An outfit in Canada was recommended to me for sacs and pressure bars and while the prices were decent the postage was a KILLER!

ldb2000

Thanks George . Try these guys for good prices on sacs but they don't have pressure bars http://www.pendemonium.com/index.htm . I ordered from the Fountain pen Hospital , their prices were higher but they had the pressure bars and shipping's not too bad , plus they are one state away so I should get my stuff pretty fast .... I hope .

Top Bottom