My first Bolt Action.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

This is my first Bolt action pen, and the blank is made by me. I used coarse glitter with a pale yellow dye and poly resin.
Sanded to 2400 and then buffed with Tripoli and white diamond.

Lesson learned;- The resin was softer than the glitter so there is a very slight roughness in the finish.:redface:

C&C welcome, and thanks for looking.

Bob.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 229
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi Bob,

I have been waiting to see some of your creations (pen blanks) from all those "unusual" materials you mentioned some time ago, you have made some beauties and this blank goes well with that kit.

I've tried to look for that finish roughness you mentioned but, I can't see it but, when I re-read your post and realise that you didn't any CA for the finish, I can understand what you meant, unless the whole thing is covered with a thick layer of "something" the glitter material will tend to stick up on the surface and will not polish as the PR will so, makes sense...!

The question is, why didn't you do a CA finish on it...???:)

Either way, I reckon is a good result...!:wink:

PS: Great pics mate...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Bob Wemm

Hi Bob,

I have been waiting to see some of your creations (pen blanks) from all those "unusual" materials you mentioned some time ago, you have made some beauties and this blank goes well with that kit.

I've tried to look for that finish roughness you mentioned but, I can't see it but, when I re-read your post and realise that you didn't any CA for the finish, I can understand what you meant, unless the whole thing is covered with a thick layer of "something" the glitter material will tend to stick up on the surface and will not polish as the PR will so, makes sense...!

The question is, why didn't you do a CA finish on it...???:)

Either way, I reckon is a good result...!:wink:

PS: Great pics mate...!

Cheers
George

Hi George,

All the other resin blanks that I have used were all resin and they didn't need to have a CA finish.
Come to think of it, the first one that I made had other stuff in it and it finished similar to this one, I thought that the problem was something to do with the resin not being cured enough. The blank was nice and smooth until I buffed it. A couple of days later I noticed the roughish surface.
BUT, now I know what went wrong.:redface:

Bob.

OZturner

Beautiful Blank and Bolt Action, Bob.
Love the inclusions in the Blank.
As I would expect your Fit and Finish is Superb.
I feel this will be the First of Many.
Great Work Bob,
Brian.

Bob Wemm

Thanks Guys for your thoughts.
I never thought that I would enjoy "Pens" as much as I do. They are so much fun and there is a lot to be gained from playing with things.

Bob.

Top Bottom