My first Bolt Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toyotaman

toyotaman

This one was made for a birthday present for my Brother-n-law. I have 2 of these kits and I think I will have to buy more. Any idea what these are selling for?

Attachments

• IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JKicker

Beautiful pen!

I can't help on pricing but I'm curious to hear the suggestions. I just made my first bolt action last weekend and I love it.

I didn't like the look of the camo blank so I used a piece of walnut with some beautiful grain. But after seeing yours, I think they look great together.

Old Lar

I did a show today. I had them priced at $45... a lot of interest and no sales. That is about the price range for my markets. Of course, there were very few sales. Wrong crowd I guess.

I did a show today. I had them priced at $45... a lot of interest and no sales. That is about the price range for my markets. Of course, there were very few sales. Wrong crowd I guess.
I sell mine online for $50.00 and $45.00 at the shows because we have a crappy market here also. We did a show today and sold 0 also.

toyotaman

I was adding it up and at 13.00 for the kit, 3.00 for the blank, and 8.50 for the shipping I figure I have close to 25.00 in it before I even start. I think it's worth every bit of 45.00.

unclefuzzy

I just did a small show on Sat. in Clarksville,Tn. Where Ft.Campbell Army base is. Before I could even get set up,I had already sold one. The first seven sales: five were bolt action. I get $50 for wood and camo and $60 for antler. Of course I was where the interest would be for a bullet pen.

RogerH

Did a county fair last month, got a ton of interest in the bolt actions. Had them in 3 types of camo, and in antler, cross cut zebra, and some faux ebony. Virtually everybody who stopped looked at them, but only sold 4, and had them priced from $35 to $45.

Had a lot more sales of the .50 cal, but use those as something of a loss leader, selling them for $25 (super easy to make, can use blank left overs because it only requires 1 1/8). Little interest in the regular 30 cal bullet pens (a big hit last year) or in the Civil War pen, but quite a few sales of the over and under Shotgun roller ball, one of the more expensive of my pens. Go figure.

Slims and Jr. Gent roller balls always seem to sell reliably, at almost every show I go to. Slims because people want cheap, and Jr. Gents in my opinion because they always look and write well, in virtually any nice blank you dress them in. Was shocked that I sold quite a few fountain pens, from mid grade to some pretty upscale ones with upgraded feeds and nibs. At a county fair !

Couldn't give away any wine stoppers, which surprised me because I sold quite a number at this fair last year.

Tons of comments on the beauty of the pens. That really makes me feel great. Cash helps too !

Any comments or advice on how you decide what types of inventory to bring to various fairs and shows would be much appreciated. I try to go heavy on what I think will be popular and bring a smattering of lots of other stuff, which works fairly well. But, I wish I could more accurately forecast the big sellers and leave the other stuff at home.

Thanks for reading, and for any advice anyone has.

toyotaman

Did a county fair last month, got a ton of interest in the bolt actions. Had them in 3 types of camo, and in antler, cross cut zebra, and some faux ebony. Virtually everybody who stopped looked at them, but only sold 4, and had them priced from $35 to $45.

Had a lot more sales of the .50 cal, but use those as something of a loss leader, selling them for $25 (super easy to make, can use blank left overs because it only requires 1 1/8). Little interest in the regular 30 cal bullet pens (a big hit last year) or in the Civil War pen, but quite a few sales of the over and under Shotgun roller ball, one of the more expensive of my pens. Go figure.

Slims and Jr. Gent roller balls always seem to sell reliably, at almost every show I go to. Slims because people want cheap, and Jr. Gents in my opinion because they always look and write well, in virtually any nice blank you dress them in. Was shocked that I sold quite a few fountain pens, from mid grade to some pretty upscale ones with upgraded feeds and nibs. At a county fair !

Couldn't give away any wine stoppers, which surprised me because I sold quite a number at this fair last year.

Tons of comments on the beauty of the pens. That really makes me feel great. Cash helps too !

Any comments or advice on how you decide what types of inventory to bring to various fairs and shows would be much appreciated. I try to go heavy on what I think will be popular and bring a smattering of lots of other stuff, which works fairly well. But, I wish I could more accurately forecast the big sellers and leave the other stuff at home.

Thanks for reading, and for any advice anyone has.

It's very hard to predict any type of show. You might sell out of one kind this year but next year not sell but 2 or 3. It's got alot to do with the economy and the money flow.

daveg

Nice looking pen. I sell bolt-action pens for anywhere from $45 to $65 depending on the species of wood and where I sell them. The folks in my area are on a Snakewood binge & I've sold probably 8-10 of them in the past few weeks at $65 each. Fortunately I've got a good supplier, but I've basically run him out of Snakewood. I paid over $13 for my first blank from Woodcraft & immediately started looking for a better source.

I ran a special on one of the gun forums I belong to for $45 for any bolt-action pen plus shipping if I already had the wood. If I had to source the wood (like for the Snakewood), I charged them my costs. That generated a dozen or so sales as well as readership on my Facebook page. I also advertise on a local Facebook trading post & that has generated half a dozen or so sales with some in reserve for people who want them for xmas, but not just yet. I sell them on FB for $55, and add my cost if they want a species I don't have in stock.

Top Bottom