My first blackwood (pen #40)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I tried a blackwood with sapwood cigar pen and it turned out OK. I had trouble with the finish, because I rushed it. It looks OK now, but I need work still. I really concentrated on fit on this one.

2007756233_DSCN0746.jpg

Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snazzypens

Nice the only thing I think I would of done with it but htis is a personal touch is line the black back with the black but it does come like a treat. Your fit does look like treat
bye Toni

BigRob777

Toni,
Well, I actually used two cut-offs for this pen, so they didn't match. I tried to even them up, but there's more sapwood on one piece, than the other. The line would match up on one side, but not the other. Thanks for your input though. I'll pay more attention next time.
Rob

Snazzypens

No Rob it not a law. I was just thinking out loud. I think you did a top job and the pen looks cool; Don't take it as a criticism because it was not
Toni

BigRob777

Toni,
It is the one thing that I don't like so much about the pen. With that much contrast, it should be more even, in my symetrical mind.[:D]

John,
It's a spray-on lacquer. I tried CA, but it didn't work out for me. I'm going to try dipping lacquer, then if that doesn't work, I'll go back to CA. I'm also just getting used to a buffing system. I bought one a year ago from the seller's forum here, but never got it hooked up right, until recently. I had droop lines really bad in the CA, so I had to take it off and refinish it in spray lacquer. That's my stand-by, but it just doesn't give me the finish I like. I did this pen at the last bubbasville east meeting, so I was rushed for time with the drying times on the lacquer. When I do them at home, I like to give a day between coats, or at least a day, before buffing. Ideally, I would like to wait a week.
Rob

tseger

Nice pen, Rob! I have never tried a ca finish on blackwood, but it seems like I have heard some other folks say that it is one of the harder woods to get a ca finish on. Tim

BigRob777

Thanks Harold. It was actually the last pen I made, before I went on vacation. I'm hoping to be up to turning tomorrow. I can't walk much, but I don't need to to turn.[:)]
Rob

Draken

Looking good there Rob, look forward to seeing it on the 14th if you still have it. Have you considered giving Enduro a try? Pretty easy to apply and the wait times are much shorter compared to Lacquer. I'm in the process of switching from Lacquer to Enduro as my primary finish. I don't personally care for the CA finish.

BigRob777

James,
I haven't tried it yet. I did try friction polish once and it was good for stoppers, but I've heard it wears off. You'll have to tell me more on the 14th (maybe a demo?). Otherwise, you know we're always looking for demos for Bubbasville East.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom