My First Baron Mangrove Driftwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bruce119

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce119

I haven't showed off a pen lately. I've been pretty busy.

This is my first Baron made with Mangrove Driftwood. I cut the wood cross grain. I like the look, the pith goes straight through. I always used to cut my wood with the grain. I think that will change now. Only thing is I don't get as many blanks out of a piece and it's a lot harder to turn.

But I like it. Still got to work on my photography skills.

Comments, opinions & criticism is welcome.

Baron_1.jpg

Baron_2.jpg

Thank You for looking
Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Very nice Bruce. I like it! It really shows off the wood, you made a great choice trying this way.
Just outstanding.[:)]

jskeen

Gotta say that's about the first crosscut pen I've seen I liked, but it looks great. Fit and finish are near perfect that I can see.

James

fiferb

Great looking pen Bruce! I enjoyed visiting with you after Christmas. Is this some of the same driftwood you gave me? I may have to run to the shop and get started on it.[:D]

Gary Max

Looks Good Bruce---I did get that box of wood cut up that I bought from you---looks like I need to spend some time making a few pens.[8D]

bruce119

Originally posted by fiferb
<br />Great looking pen Bruce! I enjoyed visiting with you after Christmas. Is this some of the same driftwood you gave me? I may have to run to the shop and get started on it.[:D]
Bruce I really enjoyed your visit also. Like you said it's great to get together with some other members of this wonderful site. And that is about the same wood mangrove I never know what I'm going to get till I cut it. This is the first time I went straight cross cut. The wood is very stable with exception of the worm holes. I just used CA as I went along very sharp tools and light cuts. It's tricky cutting cross grain. Mangrove is a very hard dense wood in fact if you were to cut it green it would sink in water. I have no fear of it coming apart it would have to take a really hard hit. It has a BLO CA finish with cabonia wax on top of that I think it really helps.

Thank You for all your comments. I am finding it harder to out do the last one I always wont to make the next one better but I guess that's the way it goes.

Thanks
Bruce Bruce I really en

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I agree too, it looks more like a wooded pen than most. Looks great.[:D]
I don't think I would have attempted it.[B)]

Ozzy

Great looking pen. I have done some angled cross cut pens (a royal pain) for a few customers but never straight across like yours. Yours looks so good that I will be trying your technique next time my wife and I go pick up some more drift wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom