My first Baron and first turned final NEW PICTURE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elody21

Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

I finally got around to doing a Baron! It is made with an australian burl (not sure what kind) any ideas? and blue lapis true stone. There is a genuine blue lapis stone in the top of the finial I also used bocote as an accent.
No matter what I tried I could not get the lapis to show it's true blue color?! It is very dark blue. Darker that the stones in the necklace. If anyone knows the magic to get dark colors to show up maybe you could share.

20052252038_lapisbaron.jpg

I got to thinking about what ptboone said about ditigal photo and natural stone which got me to think exactly what is going on with this picture. What seems to be happening is that the lapis is the only dark color in the picture and it is absorbing the light instead of reflecting it! Sooooooo I changed the background to something darker than the stone. Now the background absorbs the light and not the stone!!!!!!

2005227214733_bluelapisbaron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Darn cool. Very nice look. I like when you add touches of the materials in your pens to the pictures. Does that mean you need shark guts if you do an inlay like Jim Lambert's? [:D]

tipusnr

Why does the true-stone not look blue to me? Is it the photo or did I just trip over my color deficiancy again?

Regardless of the colors I see, or don't see, I think the design is well thought out and executed!

Deere41h

Now that is very nice. I am wondering how you attached the finial to the cap thought. I makes for a very attractive pen. I'll have to try to do something like that if I can ever figure out how you did it!!

elody21

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Why does the true-stone not look blue to me? Is it the photo or did I just trip over my color deficiancy again?

Regardless of the colors I see, or don't see, I think the design is well thought out and executed!
First to answer this question. I took at least 12 different photos trying to show the true color of the lapis. No matter how I set the lights the lapis true stone and the one on the finial came out looking black even though both are very blue.
I will keep working on the picture.

On the Barron, the gold finial that comes with the pen, presses into the brass tube. All I did is turn a piece of the wood in a similar shape and size and then hollowed out a space for the cabachon to set in. Then it was just a matter of finishing the final and gluing the cabachon in. The clip ring fit over the end of the finial and I then pressed it into the brass tube.

woodscavenger

I really like what you did. I recently did a Baron with a custom back end to cover the thread and now wish I would have done the finial as well. Maybe next time.

btboone

Sometimes digital cameras record colored stones differently than you see them. I've had that issue a couple times with sapphires and blue diamonds.

jkirkb94

Another fabulous pen, Alice!!! I made a batch of pens using the Lapis TruStone and found that it was a deep blue with gold streaks. In your pictures it is hard to tell that it is Lapis. It would seem that with the lighter wood that the blue color would stand out. Could the batch that you have just be darker?? You pen is great looking no matter!! Kirk[8D]

Darley

Originally posted by elody21
<br />I finally got around to doing a Baron! It is made with an australian burl (not sure what kind) any ideas?

Elody 21 those 2 pen are wonderfull, to answer to your question I would say it would be yellow box burl, very light brown turning to yellow, I like the finial part very nice and well done .

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom