My first attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Shep

Shep

I tried pen turning at the Woodworking show the first of the month. After prepping some blanks on Sunday, 2/10, these are my first week's turnings.

I thought the two Gentleman pens turned out the best

Shep

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shep

Thanks for the comments and encouragements. It's been fun figuring things out. I have been reading in the Library and have found a number of things I want to try. It is great to have found a place where such knowledge is so freely shared. Thanks again.

Shep

Shep

Louisbry - I'm new to turning. I bought a Jet mini on Amazon about a year ago and played with literally two pieces of scrap pine on it to try it out, then it awaited a project that required something turned, until I tried the pen turning workshop at the KC Woodworking Show this month. I fear I am hooked :)

In the picture, the pens are in the order I turned them, from right to left, the right hand pen was made at the show and the two Gentleman pens were the last two - when the picture was taken. There are more now.

Shep

DeanThom

Hey Shep,

I agree with Aurrida!! Nice start, finishes look pretty darned good.

I know what finish you used on the first pen (I'm proud to have been part of your leap into the fray!!)

I also see at least one other wooden pen. What finish did you use on your other wood pen(s)??

Shep

Dean - There is a walnut one in there made from some scrap I had and some sort of orangish wood that I think is chokte viga. I used the same finish as what you taught me. The wood is sanded to 400, then three or four coats of Mylands friction polish, plus two or three coats of Renaissance wax. The acrylics are sanded to 400, then micro mesh 1500-12000, then 20/20 plastic polish followed by the Renaissance wax. I have some other finish products coming tomorrow to experiment with.

Shep

Top Bottom