My first attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mraynes24

mraynes24

Hey all,

These are the first pens i have made over the last week since i started turning.

So far I have made eight pens of varying styles and materials, with a lot more to go.

I'm new to this so don't go to hard on me ;)

The order they were made is

Slimline - Silky Oak
30 cal Bolt - Blackwood
Gatsby - Purple Acrylic
Sedona Fountain - White Blue Acrylic
Magnum - Woodlands Camo Acrylic
Slimline - Tasmanian Myrtle
Vertex Roller - Jack Daniels Barrel Stave
European - Black and White Acrylic
Cigar - Tiger Myrtle

Just got a heap of different australian burl blanks today in the mail so i am looking forward to having a play with them.

Attachments

• Slim Silky Oak.jpg
    Slim Silky Oak.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 30 cal blackwood.jpg
    30 cal blackwood.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Sierra Purple Acrylic.jpg
    Sierra Purple Acrylic.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 208
  • Sedona Fountain Blue White Acrylic.jpg
    Sedona Fountain Blue White Acrylic.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Magnum Camo.jpg
    Magnum Camo.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 227
  • SlimMrytle.jpg
    SlimMrytle.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 161
  • Vertex Jack Daniels.jpg
    Vertex Jack Daniels.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Euro BW.jpg
    Euro BW.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Cigar Tiger Myrtle.jpg
    Cigar Tiger Myrtle.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Nice Bundle of Pens. Ryan.
You sure jumped out of the blocks with a rush.

You asked to be treated gentle.
Frankly, I can't see anything to be overly critical about.
Your Pens look Excellent.

The first Slimline with Silky Oak, looks like the lower Blank, could be a little undercut to the Nose Cone, and the Finish looks somewhat subdued.
That could be because of the position of the light source when you took the Photograph.

What Finish did you use? The Tiger Myrtle, and the Jack Daniels, look a lot brighter, but then again they were taken in a different aspect.

Normally, I would suggest that you keep your first efforts, so that you can look back in a couple of Months and see just how much you have progressed, but with so many Pens, that could be a bit of a Problem, and probably your friends and family will want to grab some.

Great Work, and I look forward to seeing your future Pens,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

mraynes24

Thanks guys,

Yes i was playing around with the skew in that first slimline, and undercut the tip a little too much, but I'm starting to get better with the skew now. I had literally only turned on piece of wood before i did that pen.

Yeah i think i have a little bit of a bug, i keep wanting to make more, I'm still working my way through the different suppliers and options out there. I have some nice mallee burls that I got today and can't wait to see how they come out.

The first couple of wood pens were finished with Eee-ultrashine and Shellawax, the Tiger Myrtle and Jack Daniels were done with a CA/BLO combination, I'm still learning the finishing process especially with the wax finishes, but i think I'm getting the hang of it. I am absolutely amazed by the shine that comes off the CA polishing with MM and plastic polish.

I am a scout leader and another leader has offered me a piece of oak from a tree that Lord Baden-Powell planted at our training facility/camp site when he visited for the 1st Australian Jamboree, so i need to find a kit that suits. Any suggestions on that would be awesome.

lhowell

They look great! The only thing I can see is a bit of tube bleed through on the silver/blue acrylic. Try painting the inside of the tube with an enamel based paint. I use model paints. You can paint it one of the colors that are in the blank or black, or really any color you want.

Pretty impressive you jumped right into a skew after turning only one piece of wood!

Top Bottom