My First Attempt at Turning a Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JWS Penworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWS Penworks

Here is my first attempt at pen turning. It's a cigar pen made of Spalted Pecan.

My%20First%20Pen%207-14-2007%20007.jpg

I did a LOT of things wrong on this, but I guess that's the way we learn. I can see where a pen mill could come in handy to square the pen blank to the tube. I used a friction finish that I know I didn't get right. I'm going to keep working on that to see if next time I can get it to shine a little more. There are other things I did wrong but for my first attempt it must not be too bad.....The LOML took it and said it was the most beautiful pen she has ever seen. [8D]

Thanks for looking!
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Very nice, much better than my first (or tenth probably)! Be sure you hang onto it, or at least hope your LOML will. I remember once before this topic came up and it was amazing how many penturners did not have their first pen, but really wish they did. My first was a walnut slimline that I still keep on my dresser and use occasionally.

Mentioning finish always starts a debate but personally I believe the best thing to do with friction polish is to leave it in the bottle. Just won't hold up for me, check the finishing forum for some other options that not only will look better but also last longer.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
wow, very nice!! Even if it wasn't your first, that is very nice!
Congrats and condolences for getting the addiction. [}:)]

GK

guts

John,looks like you are on the right track,just keep up with these folks around here and they will steer you in the right direction.my wife has the first one I ever made,slim with walnut and she will not give it up,looks kinda yucky to me.[:)]

GBusardo

Good job John. The friction polish will wear off, but the pen will still look nice, maybe even better than it does now! Good Luck, have fun and try not to get too frustrated when things don't go so well. I wish I still had my first pen.

gerryr

You're a brave person to take on spalted wood as your first pen. And, I'm impressed that you succeeded with it. Good work on your first pen. Do you plan to try some cross-cut wood next?[:D]

JWS Penworks

As they say ignorance is bliss [:D] I had no idea that it was hard to turn. I received it as a gift and I thought it looked neat so I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a whirl. [:)] I am not used to my work spinning, I do a lot of flat work [;)] I can see that I am really going to enjoy this a lot. This was a very fun project.

Prior to turning on the lathe to try this, I did a lot of research, I read everything I could find, and I watched a couple of videos. I took my time, and I made sure my tools were sharp, and I guess they say that's half the battle.

I look forward to learning more.

Thanks!
John

BigRob777

My first was my best, for a while, but it wasn't any better than yours. Nice work. I love cigar pens, but they are too large for me to use comfortably(even though I have huge paws). Keep trying new stuff, but you're off to a great start. I heard from a great pen turner, to get the fit down pat, then work on the finish. I'm still working on the finish, even though I've been at it for 2 years and 41 pens. I'm sure you'll have better luck. I could never finish anything well, even flatwork.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom