My first attempt at laser inlay kits...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from allisnut

allisnut

I recently ordered two sierra and one jr gent christian fish kits from Exotics, and had time to take a shot at the first one tonight. I had to do a little sanding on the edges of the fish to get it to fit. The inlay was still proud of the surface by 1/16" or more, but it all "turned out" ok. I did not realize when I was ordering that the sierra clicks use a longer tube than the sierras. One of my inlay kits was just barely long enough for the sierra click, the other is about 1/8" shorter so it will go on a Gatsby.

What is the typical price for this level of pen / laser inlay? I am going to start at $75, which is high for this type pen in my normal pricing scheme.

Comments and advice welcome!

Adam

DSCN3828_zpsaa521507.jpg

DSCN3827_zpsf9deeba4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Adam; Nice work on the pen !! As for price, you can start any place you want. I would be in the $35-$45 price range as it's a simple and easy kit. Price depends a lot on your location and where you are selling your pens. You won't get the prices at flee markets and craft shows that you would in art stores or pen shows. I can put this pen together, turn , and finish it in about 15 minutes. If I make $10 over my costs, I'm getting $40 per hour. Jim S

beck3906

Adam; Nice work on the pen !! As for price, you can start any place you want. I would be in the $35-$45 price range as it's a simple and easy kit. Price depends a lot on your location and where you are selling your pens. You won't get the prices at flee markets and craft shows that you would in art stores or pen shows. I can put this pen together, turn , and finish it in about 15 minutes. If I make $10 over my costs, I'm getting $40 per hour. Jim S

Apparently you aren't concerned about other costs such as booth fees, travel costs, electricity, shipping, and a multitude of others.

Joe Burns

Adam, it all depends on your area and where you are selling. Not sure about the 35 to 45 range. The blank alone I believe cost about $20. I typically calculate my cost in making a pen and then multiply by 2.5. If it is a highly collectable premium blank I may go 3.0 instead. This way you can factor in your incidentals, shop supplies, and labor.

Joe

Joe

plantman

Apparently you aren't concerned about other costs such as booth fees, travel costs, electricity, shipping, and a multitude of others.

Rick; He only asked what you would price this pen at, not what it would cost to make a living at pen turning. All of the above costs you stated, are included in my costs, but you can't get it all back on one pen. Jim S

beck3906

I won't detract from the thread by creating another debate on how pricing should go. The OP has a nice pen and can set any price he feels. I personally think you would be under-pricing if you priced it at 35-45.

As can be seen, there are those who look at this from a business perspective and those who basically want to recover materials cost plus a small amount . You'll have to determine where you are.

Just remember the unseen cost such as shipping, show fees if you do such, incidentals such as glue and sandpaper, and the dozen other considerations if you really want to evaluate your costs.

Last edited:

Hendu3270

Great looking pen. You did a good job. I would see that one in the 50-60 range as well as you have extra effort in this one.

plantman

I won't detract from the thread by creating another debate on how pricing should go. The OP has a nice pen and can set any price he feels. I personally think you would be under-pricing if you priced it at 35-45.

As can be seen, there are those who look at this from a business perspective and those who basically want to recover materials cost plus a small amount . You'll have to determine where you are.

Just remember the unseen cost such as shipping, show fees if you do such, incidentals such as glue and sandpaper, and the dozen other considerations if you really want to evaluate your costs.

Rick; I agree with you 100% !!! The reason I gave this price range is I know what that pen will sell for in my area. Wisconsin is farm country, and people keep their money close at hand. I do exibits in Madison, and can get much higher prices there, as I'm sure can be said for any large city. As I said, price it where you feel comfortable, you can always come down to make a sale. If your name is well known, you can ask more money. Jim S

minus459

Can I ask a stupid question? Are these lazer inlay blanks just a jigsaw puzzle that you assemble and then finish however you normally finsh your pens (CA or Whatever)? Or do you actually turn them after assembling the jigsaw?

thanks
undies

allisnut

After assembling the kit, gluing the pieces, gluing it to the tube, and trimming the ends, you have to turn the inlay and blank flush to each other, and down to the bushings. I used a sharp skew with alight touch.

minus459

After assembling the kit, gluing the pieces, gluing it to the tube, and trimming the ends, you have to turn the inlay and blank flush to each other, and down to the bushings. I used a sharp skew with alight touch.
Ahh thanks mate, I might have a look at them now.

cheers
undies

plantman

Undies; Requires very little turning to finish to size. Be sure you totaly soak the blank with thin CA glue before you start to turn it. Jim S

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Another tip: After the kit is assembled and tubed, ready to turn, THEN apply a rather thick coat of thick CA. Cover all the parts thoroughly, so there are no edges "sticking out".

NOW, when you turn the blank (a day or so later, so the CA has fully cured), you will not "catch an edge of a piece" and send it across the room. The blank will be smooth, as will your turning effort.

FWIW

rsulli16

hi
i would put that on my table for 40 or so. but there is another guy around here, Northern NJ, who has dozens of those one tube inlay pens, he starts them all at $140.00 i have noticed. and his display is 3 or 4 times the size of mine. I guess he likes his pens more that i do :):):):)
Sulli

beck3906

Another tip: After the kit is assembled and tubed, ready to turn, THEN apply a rather thick coat of thick CA. Cover all the parts thoroughly, so there are no edges "sticking out".

NOW, when you turn the blank (a day or so later, so the CA has fully cured), you will not "catch an edge of a piece" and send it across the room. The blank will be smooth, as will your turning effort.

FWIW

I do 60 grit sandpaper to knock off the edges

Top Bottom