My first attempt at a cut shell casing pen. Thanks Don Ward.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevers

stevers

Hi All,
Here is my first attempt at Don Ward's design of a cut shell casing pen. The shell was a 308. The wood is Wenge. The center band is pick guard, three layers, W,B,W- R,B,R and W,B,W.
This is a first draft, so I used older shells with some marks and tarnish. All in all it went well. The most important thing is the fact that I now have a collet chuck. It could be done without it, but it would have been far more difficult. One thing that it helped with was drilling. Both the shell and the bullet. Also cutting the shell was pretty simple this way. I hadn't tried without the chuck, but I can see difficulties doing it that way.
Anyway, what do you all think?

Attachments

• first cut shell 600.JPG
    first cut shell 600.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 353
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MobilMan

Nice. Especially for a first. I can see you worked to get a good fit. Don't mind the pickguard too much but up closer to the top on a 15 deg. angle might work. But like every new pen, after making the first, you come up with a lot more ideas. Good going.

jskeen

Nice job, I like the proportions and the execution. I would agree that the centerband is a little much. Just a slim ring of the brass mounted on a tenon looks nice and also maintains the slight taper of the rifle casing.

its_virgil

Stevers.
Your first one looks much nicer than my first one...or second one...or third one...
Great job on the pen. They are fun to make and in the right market they are good sellers.

You are correct about the collet chuck. Using collets make drilling the bullet and cutting the casing much easier... I've done both without using collets but it was no fun.

I too think I see more of these pens in your future. I'm doing a series of articles on casing pens for More Woodturning and after they are published I'm posting them on my website at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hi All,
Here is my first attempt at Don Ward's design of a cut shell casing pen. The shell was a 308. The wood is Wenge. The center band is pick guard, three layers, W,B,W- R,B,R and W,B,W.
This is a first draft, so I used older shells with some marks and tarnish. All in all it went well. The most important thing is the fact that I now have a collet chuck. It could be done without it, but it would have been far more difficult. One thing that it helped with was drilling. Both the shell and the bullet. Also cutting the shell was pretty simple this way. I hadn't tried without the chuck, but I can see difficulties doing it that way.
Anyway, what do you all think?

stevers

Stevers.
Your first one looks much nicer than my first one...or second one...or third one...
Great job on the pen. They are fun to make and in the right market they are good sellers.

You are correct about the collet chuck. Using collets make drilling the bullet and cutting the casing much easier... I've done both without using collets but it was no fun.

I too think I see more of these pens in your future. I'm doing a series of articles on casing pens for More Woodturning and after they are published I'm posting them on my website at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I hope your right. Sales have not been good lately. Makes it hard for me to get into the shop. This gave me a little push. Hopefully it'll last.
I'll look into your articles. I can always use good ideas.

Sylvanite

Steve,

Very nice first try. Like jskeen, I prefer a ring of brass cut from the case as the centerband (and that's what I put in the kit I sell), but I like your other treatments as well.

I'm doing a series of articles on casing pens for More Woodturning

Don, I hesitate to say this as it is purely pedantic, but I hope you call them "shell case", "case", or "cartridge" pens in your articles. "Casing" is a misnomer and it irks me to see it in print (especially from someone I respect as much as you).

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom