My first antler, thanks to Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I did a trade with Alex ( Altaciii ) recently and in return Alex sent me some nice bits of antler to try out. ( Amongst tons of other cool stuff:biggrin: )
I was expecting the massive stink that everyone talks about but can't honestly say I noticed anything. LOL, maybe my own 'scent' overpowered it:rolleyes:
It took a CA finish pretty well and it has a better shine than the pic suggests ( promise:rolleyes: )

EDIT; Just shown LOML. She said....'Yuck, looks dirty...what is it?':redface:

Attachments

• AntlerBaron.jpg
    AntlerBaron.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 187
  • BaronAntler.jpg
    BaronAntler.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

altaciii

Man, that S Texas antler do look good. I really just get the smell when I drill and the antler gets real hot. You did a good job on the fit and finish. I knew you would put to good use. It tends to grow on people that have never seen it. My wife has two personal pens out of antler and she loves em. Still can't get her to get used to the smell.

Karin Voorhis

looks really nice but wow you should really think about taking a shower. cuz I am telling you it stinks... LOL great work nice job.

cnirenberg

Steven,
Great looking "dirty" pen. Looks like you have spoiled us all. Karin is right though, I once made a whole room full of woodturners leave the room in disgust after running some antler along the grinder...babies all of them.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've noticed that the older antler gets, the less it stinks. The last one I did, barely had any smell at all.

Very nice pen.

LOL, maybe all guys that are called Steve, can't smell it.:biggrin: I think it was 'old' the surface was a bit dusty and flakey:confused:

Great looking pen Steve. Now you have make an Oosik pen for the wife!:biggrin:

Jeff, I had to Google that. Walrus Ivory? I guess that really pongs? I did a water buffalo blank once and that did stink like crazy.

Dawn, Karin and Cris, you guys are giving me a complex!!!:redface: I really don't smell (that) bad and shower at least once a month:biggrin::tongue:

Last edited:

bitshird

Skip oosik isnt walrus ivory. Might be considered walrus bone:wink:

Yes a bone from the nether regions,

Skip your antler look great, but I used to get complaints for every one in the machine shop while cutting deer antler up and drilling it, also while sanding the ends, turning it doesn't stink, but every thing else does.

I guess I've just gotten used to the smell, I've been turning antler almost as long as I've been doing pens and the smell never bothered me any... I did notice that if the antler was still relatively fresh and the drill chaff came out sticky and gummy there was a little more odor.... Water buffalo horn smells and I notice that, but doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom