90.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 116

thewishman

Hi Soumitra, I am impressed that you are able to make pens without a lathe. I have been enjoying watching your progress and wondering how you are able to improve so much without an experienced teacher in person. My compliments!

There are a couple of things that may improve the appearance of your acrylic pens. With a blank that is so transparent, I usually paint the inside of the blank, then let the paint dry, and then glue the tube in. That will hide the silver and brass materials. Sometimes I let the materials show through the blank, but most of the time, I hide them.

Acrylics show sanding marks more than wood does, so sanding to a higher level, with finer grits, will make the blanks shine more.

Thank you for sharing your progress.:)

Waluy

I would second the painting to hide the components, although in this pen (with the exception of at the finial end) I like being able to see the components inside (since you didn't use a tube).

As far as sanding make sure that as you change grits you also alternate your sanding direction. So if you start with 400 lengthwise when you move to say 600 sand around then with 800 back to lengthwise. This helps break up deeper sanding marks better.

Grateful to both of you for the advise. I will remember, perhaps my next acrylic one would be a shade more refined. Best regards.Soumitra

Top Bottom