My First Acrylic Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Irish Pat

Irish Pat

Never did one before,only new to penturning.I can only get better!!

Attachments

• DSCF2328.jpg
    DSCF2328.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 419
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobostro61

If you haven't done many pens, you're doing AWESOME. My first dozen pens (those that I didn't throw away due to ugliness) didn't look half as good. Excellent job on turning there. Crisp lines and smooth curve to the pen. I have that same blank and haven't used it yet. I may have to now, Hats off to you!

Ambidex

1st acrylic

Pat, that a very nice pen..great fit and finish. I went from strictly wood to trying acrylics about 2 years ago. I prefer acrylics as there's not nearly the problems with finishing different woods, such as dry woods compared to oily woods. And dealing with ca losing it's shelf life and different issues with either accelerants or blo not reacting consistently and different temperatures, humidity..so on so forth..I love making perfectly finished, sweet lifetime pens that don't have the issues that wood pens have. That being said, I love wood grains and some of the most beautiful pens I've ever seen are wood. Perhaps I'm saying I'm too lazy to fight through these problems everytime I make a high-end pen. Maybe I just need to learn a whole lot more...if you have any issues with acrylics, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you...George

OOPS

What surprises me most is that the blank looks mostly yellow, whereas the finished product has a substantial amount of black in it! I have seen that blank before but never got one because I didn't like so much yellow. Now that I have seen the beautiful results you achieved, I may buy one now. Thanks for posting. You've shown me (again) that its hard to know just what's inside those blanks until you turn them.

As stated above, this is an outstanding first effort.

Irish Pat

Would this type of pen sell at a craft fair?what would you put on it as a retail price?Only new to penturning,not sure on pricing!

SDB777

Prices....well, there are many different way to go about pricing. YMMV, but I usually do total cost of materials and multiply that by (2)two. But your market may allow for a more aggressive pricing?

Just remember, you can always take less, but it's hard to ask for more.

Scott (nicely turned too) B

Sataro

Great job on the pen!

In answer to your post above, yes the pen would sell at a craft fair. Everyone has their own method of pricing, so you have to figure out what works best for you. Here is a general guideline that is easy to follow:
Add all of your costs in making the pen--then multiply it times 3. I use the following method:
Add up all of my costs & then multiply cost times 2. Then add an additional $10 to the pen cost. This way I get the funds to add two pen kits/blanks back to my inventory plus I make $10 for my labor. This is not necessary the best method, it is just something that works for me. Hope this helps some...

Jim Burr

Banned
Nice job on the first plastic Pat!! First...make sure your product is ready to go to market. The hardest part of acrylics is reversing the blank and gluing the tube so there is no trace of glue or tube. After that it's just turning, sanding, finishing and assembly:eek::rolleyes:
I get between $60-80 for Sierra style stuff depending on the material and venue.

Top Bottom