My first 8MM Designer/Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I got my order in from Woodturningz today and just had to try a kit I hadn't done before. I didn't really want to go with the 7mm Designers/Euros because I do enough Cross style variations with my SLs and I like the Parker better. Anyway, here it be. Although I'm not exactly sure what the wood is ("Popular" blank that came with sample set I ordered some time ago). I thought it was Tulipwood until I drilled it. Very hard! Had to go real slow with a brand new bit and use the shop vac to try and cool the bit every pull only taking 1/8" bites at a time. Blanks still got hot. Dust on sandpaper was pinkish like tulipwood, but the last two I did weren't nearly this hard so I'm thinking it's either Kingwood, Bocote or Cocbolo based on PSI catalog, but it didn't act like the Bocote I've done before either. I'm sure one of you more seasoned turners eyes will know what it is.

200561045733_designer_unknown.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I forgot to add that I really like this kit. May well be one of my favorite two.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
First off, Billy, that's a very nice job. Fit, finish and presentation are all very nice! As for the wood, I'm thinking Kingwood. Definitely not bocote, which tends to be black grain on an off white background. Cocobolo is usually a bit more porous in appearance and in my experience is not hard to drill or sand. Kingwood has a purplish hue (to these eyes, but everyone will testify that I'm color-blind) that might tend towards a pinkish residue on your sandpaper. For the most part, cocobolo ranges through browns and oranges to a very deep purple.

ilikewood

One little hint between Cocobolo and Kingwood would be during drilling and sanding. Cocobolo has a unique "cinnimon" type smell while Kingwood almost smells like you are cutting flowers. It has a very nice smell....almost perfume like.

MDWine

I vote Kingwood, one of my favorites. It can defintely be hard, too. I blew up one blank drilling last week, and another on the lathe!
(I saved the pen with CA and some sanding dust!.. pic will be posted soon)

Nice looking pen, gotta try that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom