My first 3 pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from buttonsHT

buttonsHT

Here's my first 3 attempts at turning some pens. I can definitely say I am hooked! haha I absolutely need to work on finishing them better. It seems the CA finish has a bit of a learning curve to it.

1st
Babinga on a slimline kit finished with CA. Need to work on that for sure. There's some parts at the nib that are a disaster.
2nd
Pau Amarello on a slimline kit finished with the Beall finish system (white diamond and carnauba wax)
3rd
Unknown dyed stabilized on a slimline finished with the Beall system.

I have the fortune of having a family member who works for a wood store who has some great pieces of wood. I attached a couple photos from there today as well.

Thanks for looking!! :)

Attachments

• Pen1.jpg
    Pen1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 161
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 144
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 143
  • pen4.jpg
    pen4.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 182
  • pen5.jpg
    pen5.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
LOOKS GREAT. My first pens were recycled in the dumpster. Just remember, this is not a race, learn technique and get comfortable. When I first started I turned 3 to 5 pens a day morning, noon, and night..... they all looked ok but not great. Today I take much pride in turning a $2 trim line kit using a pecan branch in the yard, dying it, adding a decal, staining it, but making it fit and finishing it to the best of my ability..... my 2 pennies worth.

robutacion

Here's my first 3 attempts at turning some pens. I can definitely say I am hooked! haha I absolutely need to work on finishing them better. It seems the CA finish has a bit of a learning curve to it.

1st
Babinga on a slimline kit finished with CA. Need to work on that for sure. There's some parts at the nib that are a disaster.
2nd
Pau Amarello on a slimline kit finished with the Beall finish system (white diamond and carnauba wax)
3rd
Unknown dyed stabilized on a slimline finished with the Beall system.

I have the fortune of having a family member who works for a wood store who has some great pieces of wood. I attached a couple photos from there today as well.

Thanks for looking!! :)

Well, if that family member is not your best mate, you may have to work on it and make it be, working on a wood store with all those treasures, I would be hanging to him/her like a Koala bear does to a tree...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

That's just the beginning of a long road, keep them for reference as you get better and better, we all started somewhere, you seem to be doing quite OK...!

Good luck.

Cheers
George

plano_harry

Welcome from Texas Mark! Nice start. Need to get to work on your contest piece for the Birthday Bash Beginner's Contest - but don't show it before the contest or it won't be eligible :)

Harry

buttonsHT

Thanks for the kind comments!

Welcome from Texas Mark! Nice start. Need to get to work on your contest piece for the Birthday Bash Beginner's Contest - but don't show it before the contest or it won't be eligible :)

Harry

Can you point me to where I can read more about this contest? I searched but couldn't seem to find anything. Thanks

Justin H

Thanks for the kind comments!
Can you point me to where I can read more about this contest? I searched but couldn't seem to find anything. Thanks

I agree! I keep seeing people talking about the Birthday Bash and all the contests, but I have yet to see any actual information on what they are... Or what the Birthday bash itself is. :(

OZturner

Welcome Mark from Sydney Australia,
Congratulations on your first 3 Pens.

Turning Pens is not as difficult as we would like people to think.
The skill does come in after you have turned.
In Finishing, try to get your blank as smooth as you can off the Tool, then work your way right up the Grits, use clean dust free abrasive, keep it moving, don't hold it still in one place.
Wipe the blank between grit changes, if any blemishes develop with using a grit, then go to the lower one and redo the blank, also lightly sand the blank lengthways when finishing the grit.
Inspect closely before moving up a grit.
You cannot get a great smooth finish on a railway track, it has to be blemish free, before you start to apply your finish.
There are a lot of items written on finishing, for you to look up in the IAP Library.
I look forward to seeing your future postings,
Brian.

Top Bottom