My First 3 Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ChrisN

ChrisN

My first pen is a Gold Slimline with a Walnut blank.
My second is a Satin Slimline with a Cocobolo blank from PSI.
The third is a Gunmetal Bolt Action with a "I don't know but it smelled good" blank from ldubia. :laugh:

Each pen is finished with CA using the "I can't believe this finish" set from PSI and wet sanded up to 12000 grit. The Cocobolo pen was polished with HUT Ultra-gloss plastic polish, the others were not polished. I like the look of the ones that weren't polished better - it looks more like wood, not plastic, but I can still see circular scratches.

C&C welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4611.png
    IMG_4611.png
    819.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4612.png
    IMG_4612.png
    843.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4614.png
    IMG_4614.png
    901.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4616.png
    IMG_4616.png
    841.2 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

For your first 3 pens, those are very nice. The circular scratches can be cross sanded away most of the time and with using your wet Micro Mesh horizontally while turning the lathe slowly by hand. That is the way I do it.

There is probably something in the Library on finishing with CA.

Ray

ChrisN

For your first 3 pens, those are very nice. The circular scratches can be cross sanded away most of the time and with using your wet Micro Mesh horizontally while turning the lathe slowly by hand. That is the way I do it.

There is probably something in the Library on finishing with CA.

Ray

I tried to do that, but maybe I didn't do it enough.

Just a confession: On the walnut slimline, the barrels were supposed to meet the center band in the middle, but I like it the way it is.:wink: When my brother saw it, he didn't believe that I made it!:laugh: On the bolt action, I used my calipers for the first time, and it turned out nicely. Anyone know what kind of wood it is? It sure smelled good when I was turning it.:)

eranox

I've made about 100 pens, and those look better than my average product! Great work!

My guess for the smell-good wood is redwood burl, but I'm not sure.

SDB777

Congrats on a fine group! I'm sure you'll be showing off more soon.....you'll have to after you show those off......sold, sold, sold!!!:eek:

Scott (gotta keep the first) B

Top Bottom