My first "Non wood pen"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

I decided to try my hand at bowling ball material (Thanks to YoYo) and here's what developed as the Phantom of the Opera sound track was filling my garage as well as my neighbors.
statesbowlclosed.jpg

statesbowlopen.jpg

statesbowlopen2.jpg

As always comments and concerns are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Great lookin pen Ron, I'd say that it is a Phantom strike.
Rob, if you had ever seen me bowl, you would know that most of my bowling balls come in curly.[:(]

Borg_B_Borg

Although I don't generally care for these fat profiles, this one is far-out pretty in color and design! Did you add the white stripes yourself or were they already part of the bowling ball?

Steve

JimGo

Ron,
I like this, but not as much as some of your others. The material is cool, and I like the way the white is laid down in the red. But the cap and the body don't match, IMHO. The cap is "busy" (but not overly so), while the body is relatively plain. Also, the one band near the at the bottom that is not on an angle really sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

On the plus side, the glue joints look superb (as usual) and the fit and finish look great too! I like the depth the material has to it, too...really makes a nice looking pen.

Ron Mc

gerryr: The white accents are bowling ball material as well.
Steve: This pen began as a stick of white and a stick of red. Then the Phantom did his magic.
Jim: In regards to the last band I understand completely. To tell you the truth since this particular product comes in round sticks it is extraordinarily difficult to cut on my Mitre saw. Imagine little round bowling ball slivers flying around my garage after the cut is complete. Very dangerous. On the final cut on both blanks I just felt that I needed to cut it straight so I followed my gut and cut them.
I have more of this material coming in so I'll be making another one.

Dan

That's an amazing piece of work Ron, you have to tell us the details of building that blank, and which kit that is and how you finished it and all about the journey that resulted in that beautiful pen. And thanks for sharing it with us!

Dan
Unionville, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom