My Favorite Amboyna Burl Pen To Date

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jedgerton

jedgerton

Well, I finally got one of those prime two tone Amboyna burl blanks (thanks to rlofton). This is the first of four so far and I'm really liking these blanks (I've got ten more on order).

Rhodium Euro with CA finish. Let me know what you think, good or bad!

100B1310.JPG

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Let me know what you think, good or bad!

John, I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended.

The pen looks very proud of the center band on the upper barrel. I find there is a danger of this happening on the euro because you turn the pen to the bushings and then you part away to form the tenon at the CB. If there is any curvature on the upper barrel then it will no longer fit to the hardware when the tenon is formed. To avoid this you need to measure the barrel by the tenon with a pair of calipers to make sure it will fit to the CB.

jedgerton

John, I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended.

The pen looks very proud of the center band on the upper barrel. I find there is a danger of this happening on the euro because you turn the pen to the bushings and then you part away to form the tenon at the CB. If there is any curvature on the upper barrel then it will no longer fit to the hardware when the tenon is formed. To avoid this you need to measure the barrel by the tenon with a pair of calipers to make sure it will fit to the CB.

Keith,

No offense taken, in fact quite the opposite. I don't expect to get better without constructive feedback. Your point is a very good one and while it is slightly proud of the center band, it is very slight. The way the light reflects off of those center bands relative to the pen body greatly exaggerates the size difference.

Also, I do measure the body after the parting is done for exactly the reason you stated. What happens to me instead is buildup of the CA finish results in slightly larger dimensions than the unfinished barrel. One of these days I'm going to measure it pre and post finishing in order to estimate how much smaller it needs to be before the finish is applied.

John

VisExp

Thanks for taking my comments as constructive criticism :)

I also keep on forgetting to take a measurement before and after applying the finish. Normally I turn down to the bushings, double check with calipers that diameter matches the hardware, sand and apply the finish. I figure that what I take off with sanding will be replaced with finish. Not the most scientific method but it seems to work :biggrin:

jedgerton

Thanks for taking my comments as constructive criticism :)

I also keep on forgetting to take a measurement before and after applying the finish. Normally I turn down to the bushings, double check with calipers that diameter matches the hardware, sand and apply the finish. I figure that what I take off with sanding will be replaced with finish. Not the most scientific method but it seems to work :biggrin:

Keith,

I've seen your pens and it must be working well :eat:. I'll give that a try.

John

jedgerton

Love the pen and the "Paw". Are you a Clemson man?

Yes, I am a Clemson grad. Too many years ago now but I'm also from SC, Florence to be exact.

I see you are in Augusta, GA. My son was there a few weeks ago for the Science Olympiad Championship. Great city.

John

Top Bottom