My Exhibition Grade Amboyna Burl Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nilsatcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

I couldn't resist the temptation to pick up a couple of the Exhibition Grade Amboyna Pen Blanks that we had on sale. They were too nice to pass up so I turned one yesterday with a Jr. Statesman 2 pen. I strayed from my trusty Masters Magic finish this time and went with a scaled down CA finish. I must say, it took a little longer than I expected but with the help of MicroMesh, it came out great. A good buffing afterward also worked wonders. I LOVE THIS WOOD! It's so dark and had an amazing figure to it. I took about five minutes to photograph it this morning and didn't feel like changing lenses on the camera I was using (company camera) so you can't really see the incredible burl on this one but it's most definitely there. Also, this one was spalted pretty good on the top barrel, so it's an amazing piece. This is my new personal pen and I plan to keep it with me for a long time. Too good to let go. Comments/critiques are welcome as always.

20061030135731_amb_jr.jpg

20061030135758_amb_jr2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

That's a beautiful piece of wood and naturally a great looking pen. Can't say I think much of your background, though.[:D] Is this wood in your catalog somewhere?

nilsatcraft

Master's Magic is a spray lacquer finish that's available in Satin or Gloss and does a fantastic job. I've been using it on nearly all of my pens for the last three years or so and I love it. We sell it at Craft Supplies USA and you can see it at this link:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=masters

Gary Max

I am saving a copy of your pic---next time someone gives me a hard time about my Photo quality--well you get the ideal.
Anyhow my Amboyna just arrived in Southern Kentucky---it almost can not be described with mear words.
Next time I order from you folks I am going to give you spray Magic a try---now if I can just remember that---hummmm.

OKLAHOMAN

Can't wait to get the exhibition amboyna I ordered [:p]and hope I can do it proud as you did . Nils I don't blame to for keeping it.

nilsatcraft

I know this is overdue but I snapped some pictures of the burl in the pen this morning. I haven't seen many spalted Amboyna pieces before so this pen is especially cool to me. The depth of field (focal range) on these pics is too tight but you get the idea.

200611114379_top_spalt.jpg

2006111143727_top_burl.jpg

2006111143740_bot_burl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom