My Dad's Purple Heart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeD

MikeD

Before anyone starts ragging on me because this isn't a hand turned pen, let me explain.
I wanted to try some color images on a pen, and thought it would make a nice Father's Day gift for my Father. He likes click pens, and I didn't have any click pen kits on hand. So being the good son that I am, I used a manufactured pen.
My Father received the Purple Heart for action off of Guadalcanal in 1942. His ship and crew received a Presidential Unit Citation as well.
And just so you know, he didn't care that I didn't turn the pen, he loved the design.
PHPUCAlchiba2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Allenk

Well done; I'll bet Dad is proud of you, too... Good for you!..
I had some Uncle's at Guadalcanal... Thanks to your Dad, for his Service, Too!

seamus7227

I'm sure everyone already knows the answer to this question, but did you use decal paper to complete that? Very sharp looking I might add, who cares if you didnt turn it, looks pretty kick a$$ to me!

MikeD

Thanks everyone. I'll pass along your comments.
As to the decal question. - Yes it is an ink jet printed decal. I tried one on clear paper, but it was a little too transparent for my taste. This one was printed on white decal paper. It is opaque and appears a lot brighter. The drawback is the need to trim along the design.
It has 10 coats of CA, but I have my doubts about it's scratch resistance at the decal/wood interface.

Rangertrek

Great pen, great gift to someone who deserves more credit for their service than they will ever receive. I am a "milbrat" also and your pen made me go look at my Dad's (deceased) case of medals, along with the purple heart and bronze stars. I wish I had done a tribute like yours for my Dad.
Again, great pen and honor to a serviceman. :biggrin:

Top Bottom