My Custom Cracked Ice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gilrock

Gilrock

This is my first try at making a larger custom pen using the #6 nib. My previous 5 or so pens had #5 nibs so all my measurements, taps, and dies had to change for this one. I also had to manufacture all new tooling for the way I like to make them. I decided to take a shot at using aluminum for my section and I really like how it turned out. I used black acrylic for the finials and accented with aluminum. Comments welcome.

CrackedIce_1.jpg

CrackedIce_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Really stunning work! There's never a reason to buy a kit again with this type of work

Gilrock

Thanks for the comments....I also wanted to post a link to another thread I just posted that has a photo of all the tooling I made to create this pen. All my old tooling was for a #5 sized pen so I had to remake everything for the larger thread sizes. All my old mandrels were made out of steel but I tried aluminum this time to try to save some wear on my taps and dies and it was so much quicker and seemed to work out just fine.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/kitless-tooling-103535/#post1464231

MarkD

Awesome work. The black and the aluminum accents with the aluminum section works great. Congrats!

wizard

Gil, I love everything about this pen!! The cracked ice ties together the finials, accents and aluminum section! I love the flecks of subtle colors.. purple/blue.. that are in the blank and it really makes your pen stand even more. Excellent craftsmanship! Regards, Doc:)

Gilrock

Beautiful pen! Question on the section and aluminum parts, did you coat the aluminum? Do you think it will oxidize?

I didn't coat it. I'll be curious to see what happens over time. I figured worst case I might need to chuck it back up on the lathe and re-polish it or a quick 30 seconds on buffing wheels. Or just cut a brand new one. I could just oil it whenever I oil my rifle. :)

Top Bottom