My convertable

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

I love making my own pens but I realize not everyone likes fountain pens so here is what I came up with.....

My basic pen with sterling silver accents and my favorite clip. The blank and finials are made from alumilite poured by me.

1_convertable-closed.jpg

Here is a pen for those wanting a nice writing fountain pen. Oops, I just noticed I didn't screw the section down all the way! It's not like that in real life. :)
1_convertable-fountain.jpg

For those who love fountain ink but prefer a rollerball, here is a pen with the Schmidt Cartridge Rollerball!
1_convertable-roller-fountain.jpg

And finally, for those who prefer a nice rollerball, here is a pen with a Schmidt 5888 extra fine rollerball installed.
1_convertable-rollerball.jpg

Rather than make and lug around a bunch of pens, I make the bodies to accept any of the three sections which are also made from Alumilite. Here is the one pen shown configured differently above. This is the first time I made a rollerball section and while it is the identical size as a Jr Statesman, I think I'll play with it to see if I like the feel or perhaps go a tad smaller. One thing for certain, the section feels MUCH better (softer)when writing than the metal sections. I didn't show it but the two fountain configurations can also accept a converter. I've been having a ball with Alumilite lately and so far have this pen available in eight colors with identical grain patterns. Ought to make a colorful display for Christmas sales.:)
1_convertable-all-sections.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

George I really like the nose-cone that you made for the rollerball. Very well done. Now you need to add one more option to it. You should come up with a stylus tip too. :biggrin:

I forgot to mention how much this reminds me of a Duofold.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

I prefer a ballpoint... :biggrin:
As I was measuring to make the rollerball section I thought, I ought to make a couple sections for Parker style refills.....Just in case there is that one oddball ought there! :biggrin:

George I really like the nose-cone that you made for the rollerball. Very well done. Now you need to add one more option to it. You should come up with a stylus tip too. :biggrin:

I forgot to mention how much this reminds me of a Duofold.

Gee, what a coincidence! I have liked that pen shape for a long time so made this style similar and I make it as a button filler as well. I make the same style pen a bit larger taking advantage of the larger multi-start tap and die set. Hopefully I'll have something for everyone! :)

OKLAHOMAN

Brilliant!!!, but George you know me, why sell them one convertible when you can sell them 3 pens:) Just pulling your chain:wink: And I agree with Mike so much reminds me of a Duo fold. Great execution and planning.

Texatdurango

Brilliant!!!, but George you know me, why sell them one convertible when you can sell them 3 pens:) Just pulling your chain:wink: And I agree with Mike so much reminds me of a Duo fold. Great execution and planning.

Actually I'm not planning selling them as a set, just letting customers know they are available in any configuration. I'll have demo pens inked with each type nib so they can choose which they like.

Hey, how about this..... a "Show Special" on a "set of three'' and you can pick and choose your colors! :wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very impressive George. I hadn't yet considered doing anything like a conversion. Now that you've shown it can be done, I may try it. Thanks! The shape is nice and you nailed the appearance with the color contrast and Silver accents. I appreciate the photos.

Nice pen, good job:biggrin: (haven't heard That in awhile)

IPD_Mrs

Coloring is somewhat reminiscent of the Green Pearl on Pelikan (but not as close as the resemblance to the Duofold!)

Excellent George - you have raised the bar ... yet again :)

Linda

hewunch

George you have great skill. Thank you for sharing your idea, and your work. I am however trying to think of the best way to put the silver rings on the cap. Would you mind sharing?

Dan_F

Beautiful work George, does give a nod to the Parker Duofold. Nice job on the casting too. Are the center bands swedged, and if so, how do you do it? I damaged my collet chuck threads trying to swedge silver tubing.

Dan

Texatdurango

Beautiful work George, does give a nod to the Parker Duofold. Nice job on the casting too. Are the center bands swedged, and if so, how do you do it? I damaged my collet chuck threads trying to swedge silver tubing.

Dan
Yes the bands are swaged on and I use a collet but can't get much more specific than that because I think I do it differently each time and I'm always thinking of a better way to do it since it is so time consuming! :)

Top Bottom