My Contest Entries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Figured since the finalists have been selected I could go ahead and post what I entered. The first one is what I believe to be Jarrah, not 100% though, I put it on a two tone gun metal classic twist. 12 coats of thin CA, MM to 12000, buffed with tripoli and white diamond, PlastX polish, and a coat of Ren wax. This is my best CA finish so far and even though it didn't make the finals I'm still very happy with it! The second pen is a Long Clicker made out of a Tru-Stone Malachite I bought from R & B Crafts. Same finish as the 1st pen without the CA. Hope yall like and as always any comments/questions appreciated!

Attachments

• 100_4917.jpg
    100_4917.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_4923.jpg
    100_4923.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_4913.jpg
    100_4913.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_5053.jpg
    100_5053.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_5075.jpg
    100_5075.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be finalists. They are beautiful pens. The final pens must have been just a bit more appealing in some fashion or another. Remember, what a judge picks today might not be what he would pick tomorrow....it sucks to be a judge. If all the pens are perfect, you have to go with what jumps at you. You did awesome..congrats!

Aah! Somebody must have bought the judges and you just didn't pay enough....:biggrin::biggrin:
I've not done the clicker yet, don't know if I ever will, but I like the malachite... it's great stuff to work with, and I think it looks very rich. The Jarrah almost looks plastic or glass with the finish you got on that...
That's an awesome pen, great finish on both of them.

Brooks803

Thanks Jeff and Chuck for the encouragement! I like the clicker pen, but it can be a pain to drill out if you don't have the longer bits. I have to bring the drill chuck flush with the end of the blank so to barely have room to square my ends. This clicker was a replacement for my mom bc she made every turners nightmare (left it out and her dog grabbed it!). She loves her replacement and I had fun turning it. One thing I am stoked about for the contests is that my fiance did make the finals! I am a little jelous tho :wink:.

David Keller

They're both nice looking. Great finish on both of them, but I'm not sure that first one is jarrah... at least it doesn't look like any of the jarrah I've ever turned. It seems a little too light in color, and it almost looks like carob to me. Whatever it is, it's nice.

Top Bottom