My blowout from yesterday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

Yesterday there was a thread about a pen blowout from a newbie. The only comment I could add (as a newbie myself) was that the same thing had just happened to me. Mine was worse though. I had all the parts and glued it all back together but quit for the night after that. Today I went to finish it, but didn't like the way it looked. The blowout was too noticable (but I am very anal about that stuff). So, I decided to part off the bad half. I glued a piece of padauk to a piece of blank that matched the good half, drilled it and then glued it onto the tube with the good half. Turned it down and ended up with this. It may not be the best looking pen in the world, but I learned in the process, and it actually doesn't look too bad.

The other two pens are a couple more I finished last night and today. The second one is a simple Trimline with Spalted Maple. The third one is a Sculpted with Light Maple Burl.

All three pens are finished with CA/BLO. No sanding of the CA/BLO. All three pens were done with my new Wood Chuck Pro.

Thanks for looking. I know these pens are not top end pens, but I like to show my progress and get feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_5687-web.jpg
    IMG_5687-web.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_5681-web.jpg
    IMG_5681-web.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_5689-web.jpg
    IMG_5689-web.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am not a fan of paduak. Used extensively in "Chinese junk furniture", so I avoid it.:mad:

HOWEVER!!! Your use of it, right where the clip ends looks very "planned":wink::wink:---it is a GREAT job, and a very nice look.

Next time----use bloodwood:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: But be careful when you sand it, it "bleeds" onto the surrounding wood.

I am not a fan of paduak. Used extensively in "Chinese junk furniture", so I avoid it.:mad:

HOWEVER!!! Your use of it, right where the clip ends looks very "planned":wink::wink:---it is a GREAT job, and a very nice look.

Next time----use bloodwood:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: But be careful when you sand it, it "bleeds" onto the surrounding wood.

Paduak is also used in custom furniture and high-end guitars. I agree with Ed that you placed the band in the right spot. It looks great there and it is interesting that the Berea/Woodcraft 'Retro' kit that closely resembles the PSI Executive has a metal band in the center of the 2-piece pen body as a design element.

seamus7227

I have to agree as well that you made an excellent choice in the execution of the segmenting! Well done and like Ed said, it looks like you meant to do that! Nice save and good job on the others as well!

Top Bottom