My black and silver pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

In a thread a few days ago I was showing a few different colors of a new pen I am making and Roy (Oklahoman) commented.... "That's custom from clip to section to blanks to bands, you should blow them away at the next pen show, but I do think one all black with the silver bands and clip would be stunning. But what do I know."

Well, I decided he was right and that I needed an all black color since these are a bit ornate, one might like the "classy look". :wink: I was playing around punching out some more silver discs this morning when it dawned on me that I could use some of the scrap silver I was generating so if you have a look at the cap on this pen you will see a new addition.

Any opinions on the silver disc on the cap finial, just right, too much, leave it off...?

Here are a few shots of the pen.........

1_blackshowlowclosed.jpg

1_blackshowlowopen.jpg

1_blackshowlowopen1.jpg

1_blackshowlowcap.jpg

1_blackshowlowcapcloseup.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Really like the addition.

What about a matching one in the end of the barrel? Be ashame to waste anymore of the punched out discs!!
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing! I think the 1/4" disc might be a bit large but I have a small 3/16" punch that would make a nice small disc!

I might do that on the next pen of this size. I'm going to keep adding silver until I have a $100 pen on my hands! :biggrin:

philb

Ha, just be glad there not gold discs!!

I reckon the slightly smaller one for the barrel is a good idea. I'll await your next creation, going on you recent speed should be by tomorrow night!!

MartinPens

Well, at least I know what I'm saving my pennies for when the LA Pen Show comes around! One in black, please. And I like the idea of continuing the circle on both ends. Classy!!!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great work George. I also thought the all black would be attractive. You proved it with this one. The disc worked out nicely. Can you make a star? :biggrin:

wizard

Beautiful Pen !!! Very elegant !! Looking even more like a Parker Duofold with the silver disc on top...:)

gwilki

The silver disk in the cap could be your signature, George - like MB's snowflake. I wouldn't put one in the end of the barrel. Just my 2 cents canadian.

its_virgil

I'm with Chuck...a white star! Did you use 'precious' resin?:biggrin::biggrin:
Too many silver discs? Not at all.
Black has always been a favorite of mine and black seems to be the classic fountain pen color. You did good on this one George, as always.
Elegantly looking pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Guys like you and the other kitless pens are why I pretty much quit turning pens. I don't have the talent or equipment to make them that nice. I look at them and lose all desire to "put a kit together". Beautiful, beautiful pen.

firewhatfire

I am of the minoroty. I don't like the end being in silver. Maybe if both ends were done, I would like it better. The black pen aside from that is absolutely stunning. Of the other 4 you posted I liked the purple the most.

Phil

Texatdurango

Great addition but don't overdo it. I agree about it being a "signature". By the way how the hell do you get that finish ???
Some say you can't get a shine on Alumilite like acrylics but that's not true, at least I don't believe it. The secret is that I don't use micro mesh at all, but I do know my way around a buffer! :wink:

Seriously though, I shape the body with a skew which gives me a very smooth finish which allows me to start with 800 grit so as to not introduce any scratches then proceed with 1000 then 2000 paper, polish with Novus #2 then buff.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
George: As always, great work. I like the black, I like the silver addition to the upper finial. I'm undecided if I'd like the lower end addition. Somehow, I feel you have just the right amount at this point. I guess time will tell, huh?:biggrin:

Texatdurango

George: As always, great work. I like the black, I like the silver addition to the upper finial. I'm undecided if I'd like the lower end addition. Somehow, I feel you have just the right amount at this point. I guess time will tell, huh?:biggrin:
Well, it seems like several folks think it's the right amount as it is and I tend to agree. I had a 3/16" punched out disk and I was holding it up to the lower finial and it just didn't seem right. For three years I have been playing around with different ideas on how to make a pen recognizable as mine, I think the silver dot on the cap finial is it!

Thanks everyone for the comments.

PenMan1

Just anther opinion, here. Well, all of the other opinions were right. It's fabulous ! Right at the corner of Elegant Avenue and Bling Street! Just the right amount of each.

And this is just one of those tiny details that to me makes a piece stand out, the "chamfer" at the bottom of the cap REALLY takes the "hard cut" look away from the capped pen!

Nice work, as always!

Last edited:

Sawdust46

Beautiful! The ring sizes are perfect and I like the silver disc on the cap finial. Perhaps the nicest pen I have seen, handmade or "commercial". Thanks for sharing.

SDB777

Unfortunately, all I can do is wack the "like button" once.....:biggrin:

Stunning use of two fine materials that help each other towards the end goal, winning the mind of the next owner!

Scott (keep them coming) B

Jjartwood

Very tasteful,Burger Joint to Boardroom that pen will fit right in,the silver disc on the
top is a nice touch as well.
Beautiful pen.
Mark

Top Bottom