My best yet! (Atrix RB)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GrantH

GrantH

Well, i'm learning! The biggest improvement is, by far and away, my skew skills. I loved using it on this pen. I used it from beginning to end, and with a couple more under my belt I should be able to get things a little thinner. I didn't want to push it this round.

I think this is Macadamia wood. Member GoodTurns sent me a huge box of blanks which I ever so thankful for, but even more so...he sent gems!

Sorry for the lack of quality in the pics, i'm tired and didn't want to break out all the equipment.

PS: The nib is not scratched, I didn't clean it after my brother handled it.

IMG_0465 by FlatRockerPhotos, on Flickr

IMG_0467 by FlatRockerPhotos, on Flickr

IMG_0469 by FlatRockerPhotos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Well, i'm learning! The biggest improvement is, by far and away, my skew skills. I loved using it on this pen. I used it from beginning to end, and with a couple more under my belt I should be able to get things a little thinner. I didn't want to push it this round.

I think this is Macadamia wood. Member GoodTurns sent me a huge box of blanks which I ever so thankful for, but even more so...he sent gems!

Sorry for the lack of quality in the pics, i'm tired and didn't want to break out all the equipment.

Edit: Pics taken down for a second. Need to resize.

Pics look fine...:biggrin: I really love the wood on this pen!

Last edited:

GrantH

It is 6 coats of CA, micro mesh to 8000 (my 12000 got contaminated and won't clean well enough) and polished/waxed with Meguiars Gold car wax.

GrantH

nicely done! and a quick turnaround too! Yes, Macadamia it is.

I tried turning the big piece of darker wood with the red in the middle, but it was a bit too curved and i think it was crosscut...so it grabbed and made me go smaller. It's a keychain now haha. I'm enjoying the pieces.

BSea

Your coming right along Grant. Good job using the skew. That does take some practice. It funny how a blank doesn't look to fat when turning, but seems to balloon when put together as a pen. Getting the shape where you want it takes a little time. But I'd say you are well on your way.

GrantH

Your coming right along Grant. Good job using the skew. That does take some practice. It funny how a blank doesn't look to fat when turning, but seems to balloon when put together as a pen. Getting the shape where you want it takes a little time. But I'd say you are well on your way.

It really is wild just how much smaller they look on the mandrel. I did this one a bit differently as I am about to start turning between centers. Rather than both pieces on the mandrel, I only turned one at a time. I think it actually helped the sizing, not sure why though. It felt more sturdy when turning. I can't wait to turn on centers.

I don't know how they run these barrels straight in the pictures, I may have to try that next time!

Top Bottom