My Best of Fountain Pen Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RichF

RichF

This was my fountain pen entry.

In creating this pen, I tried to fuse the two things I love about pen making--working with beautiful wood and component less design--into one. So I made a "wood and ebonite stick with at clip". :biggrin:

This design is really a pen within a pen. The section and interior supporting structure are all ebonite. The body has a full length sleeve so that the pen could be used as an eye dropper filler. Without the wood shell, you have a very thin ebonite pen.

The exterior shell of the pen is all wood. To create the shell, I used blank cutoffs left over from other pens. I cut the individual pieces to a thicker width, then assembled them using a herringbone design. The thick widths give the end pattern a patchwork type design and highlights the figure/color/burl of the individual woods in the design. For this pen, I managed to incorporate wood from 6 different continents.

The cap uses a rhodium clip and the clip is removable by unscrewing the cap piece.

This was my first attempt at a pen using this technique and it was a lot of fun to work thru the details. There were a couple of times that I almost gave up. I learned a lot doing this, and look forward to the next opportunity to push my self to improve. Thanks to everyone who makes these events possible. I look forward to the next one. Seeing the winning designs reminds me how much more I have to learn.

Sorry my pics aren't that good. I need to take some time to learn how to do better with them.

Rich

Attachments

• DSC03416.JPG
    DSC03416.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC03417.JPG
    DSC03417.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Your segmenting is gorgeous! congrats on your win as well!

One questions though, the picture on the right looks as though the nib is not pushed in all the way?

RichF

Your segmenting is gorgeous! congrats on your win as well!

One questions though, the picture on the right looks as though the nib is not pushed in all the way?

Thanks Seamus,

I'm not sure on the picture. I may not have had the nib slid all the way in for the photo. I will have to take a look when I get the pen back.

Top Bottom