My bash contest entries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

1. Buckeye burl closed end modified slimline

2. Zen with deer antler and walnut bands.

3. Modified cigar with atrax parts and jr gent clip. Brooks blank.

Attachments

• image-3846593646.jpg
    image-3846593646.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 220
  • image-1363454111.jpg
    image-1363454111.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 169
  • image-2386045241.jpg
    image-2386045241.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

Very fine work all around. I'd like to know your process for securing the clip on the modified slimline. It looks like there is no seam there, so my best guess is that you trimmed off the ring part of the clip and secured the remaining tab in a slot on the upper barrel. How'd ya do that? How'd you machine that slot? It looks like that piece of wood has that clip growing right out of it.

Very nice pens!

OZturner

Great Pens, Dan.
Beautiful Buckeye Burl, with excellent closed end. Regretably your phototgraph, doesn't show the entire pen clearly.
Love the Segmented Antler, Terrific contrast with the Walnut, Superb fit and Finish.
Spectacular modified Cigar and Outstanding Brooks Blank.
A Most Credible Trio.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

It was my first try. You basically nailed it. Drilled a tiny hole. Used a piece of coping saw blade to extend the hole. Cut down the clip ring. Used some ca in the slot to secure then more down the tube. Surprisingly strong hold.

Attachments

• image-1650777050.jpg
    image-1650777050.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 113

Dan Masshardt

Great Pens, Dan. Beautiful Buckeye Burl, with excellent closed end. Regretably your phototgraph, doesn't show the entire pen clearly. Love the Segmented Antler, Terrififc contrast with the Walnut, Superb fit and Finish. Spectacular modified Cigar and Outstanding Brooks Blank. A Most Credible Trio. Congratulations, Brian.

Thanks Brian.
I posted another pic. My photos are sonewhere south of mediocre bit have a real camera. I regret not putting a real ca finish on the slim rather than the satin polish of the stabilized buckeye.

This was the first year I entered any contests. No platings in the pen contests. I've only had a year of pen making so maybe next year will be more competitive.

Last edited:

eranox

It was my first try. You basically nailed it. Drilled a tiny hole. Used a piece of coping saw blade to extend the hole. Cut down the clip ring. Used some ca in the slot to secure then more down the tube. Surprisingly strong hold.

Maybe it's just my eyes, but it looks like you aced it. I don't see anything that resembles a drilled hole or reaming with a coping saw blade! I'm going to have to try that when I get home.

Dan Masshardt

Maybe it's just my eyes, but it looks like you aced it. I don't see anything that resembles a drilled hole or reaming with a coping saw blade! I'm going to have to try that when I get home.

Thanks - it came out surprisingly good for a first effort. I finished fifth - just outside the prizes. It was good timing to console my son who finished 4th in his pinewood derby race yesterday - no trophy. :-(

The hole is not perfect. It is a little but too wide on the right side. Not anything bad, but my pics hide it.

I'd like to try the method is using a thin wood burner tip once I get one.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Nice pens Dan! Turning pens is great stress relief. I have quite a few named after deacons! :biggrin: OK guys...just kidding! ..........sort of.

Last edited:

southernclay

Pinewood derby! You just brought back some great memories. I always had the upper half of a Lego man driving. Never won, I think too much drag :)

Back on topic, really nice pens, the antler is my favorite of all of them, the segmenting compliments the antler very well. Good job on all though

Top Bottom