My Australian Pen Swaps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

I just finished my Australian pen swaps. And by finished, I mean everyone has received their pens, and I've received mine. For those of you that don't know, you have the option to swap with someone from Australia, and someone from your own country. So you can double down so to speak.

Anyway, here's what I received from my swap partners.

From Jenny (touchwood on the Australian forum). It's curly swamp gum with a distinctive sap line (we think). She also has custom pen sleeves. Very cool idea.
attachment.php

And from Stacey (Spanky239) who lives on Maui. It's curly /figured Koa.
I wasn't sure at first because I've never made a pen from Koa. But I will soon.:wink:
attachment.php

Here's what I sent them. I sent blanks too, but I didn't take pictures of them before I sent their packages.

For Stacey in Hawaii. African Blackwood with Bloodwood scallops & accents. (yes, know the picture sucks.:redface:
attachment.php

And to Jenny, I sent a mesquite burl with white holly scallops. I didn't do the accents with this one, but I did do a custom finial in mesquite burl.
attachment.php

All in all, a very fun swap, and made 2 new friends.

Attachments

• Jenny package 1.jpg
    Jenny package 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 364
  • Pen from Stacey.jpg
    Pen from Stacey.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 345
  • Mesquite holly 2.jpg
    Mesquite holly 2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Blackwood bloodwood 2.jpg
    Blackwood bloodwood 2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

panamag8or

Just sent mine off down under yesterday, so I don't want to post pics, yet... but it was fun. I got a nice pen from Chris (Homeleigh), made from mulberry. I found a nice piece of local wood... I'll post when I know he got his pen.

glenspens

THATS COOL, HOW DO YOU GET IN ON SWAPING GIG , NOT SURE MY WORK IS UP TO YOU GUYS, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO TRY. WHAT A WAY TO MEET LIKE MINED PEOPLE.NEW TO IPA JUST FINDING MY WAY AROUND ALL THE STUFF HERE.

BSea

THATS COOL, HOW DO YOU GET IN ON SWAPING GIG , NOT SURE MY WORK IS UP TO YOU GUYS, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO TRY. WHAT A WAY TO MEET LIKE MINED PEOPLE.NEW TO IPA JUST FINDING MY WAY AROUND ALL THE STUFF HERE.
I subscribe to the activities forum here. And also on the woodworkforums.com but the sub forum there is the swaps & barters under pen turning.

And don't worry about your level of work. It's about meeting new people & trying new things. To me, these swaps are the most enjoyable part of this hobby.

SDB777

The photo's are actually pretty good(certainly not what I'd consider as 'sucks')!

Think the KOA is awesome, and the blanks that came with it are gonna make for some nice pieces too.

Swamp Gum, unique names they have 'down under'...the black line might be the xylem is decay? Regardless of what it is, I like the black line in the timber to give the timber a 'flow'!

Scott (I should have done more swaps too) B

Top Bottom