My attempt at an intricate blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dexter0606

dexter0606

After seeing the beautiful job that Kaspar did on that "Redux" blank I was inspired to give it a shot. I went with Corian and some pickguard and black styrene for accents just because it was what I had laying around. This blank was by no means friendly to me. After all the time it took me to put it together it blew up on me when I was half way through turning it. I lost the two wedge sections at the one end of the blank into my dust collection system. I came up with the idea that if I turned the section from the pickguard to the end of thh blank down to the brass tube I would be able to glue a new section on. And it worked, until I got down to almost finished diameter. My skew caught and flipped out one of the wedges again. This time I didn't lose it and was able to re-glue it in place. Didn't take a chance on putting a tool to it again. I wet sanded it to size and then used plastic polish. Dressed it up with a black ti and platinum Sierra Elegeant Beauty. Thanks for the inspiration Kaspar! Jeff
For some reason I can't insert a pic. I'll try later

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Forget someting?:wink:

After seeing the beautiful job that Kaspar did on that "Redux" blank I was inspired to give it a shot.I went with Corian and some pickguard and black styrene for accents just because it was what I had laying around.This blank was by no means friendly to me. After all the time it took me to put it together it blew up on me when I was half way through turning it. I lost the two wedge sections at the one end of the blank into my dust collection system. I came up with the idea that if I turned the section from the pickguard to the end of teh blank down to the brass tube I would be able to glue a new section on. And it worked, until I got down to almost finished diameter. My skew caught and flipped out one of the wedges again. This time I didn't lose it and was able to reglue it in place. Didn't take a chance on putting a tool to it again. I wet sanded it to size and then used plastic polish.Dressed it up with a black ti and platinum Sierra Elegeant Beauty.Thanks for the inspiration Kaspar!Jeff

Thought I'd bring it up closer to the top:biggrin:.

Attachments

• jeff.jpg
    jeff.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

After seeing the beautiful job that Kaspar did on that "Redux" blank I was inspired to give it a shot. I went with Corian and some pickguard and black styrene for accents just because it was what I had laying around. This blank was by no means friendly to me. After all the time it took me to put it together it blew up on me when I was half way through turning it. I lost the two wedge sections at the one end of the blank into my dust collection system. I came up with the idea that if I turned the section from the pickguard to the end of thh blank down to the brass tube I would be able to glue a new section on. And it worked, until I got down to almost finished diameter. My skew caught and flipped out one of the wedges again. This time I didn't lose it and was able to re-glue it in place. Didn't take a chance on putting a tool to it again. I wet sanded it to size and then used plastic polish. Dressed it up with a black ti and platinum Sierra Elegeant Beauty. Thanks for the inspiration Kaspar! Jeff
For some reason I can't insert a pic. I'll try later
Lets see if this works Jeff.....I had him e-mail the photo to me and I uploaded it . Sure is sweet looking....

Attachments

• jeff.jpg
    jeff.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 288

dexter0606

Thanks for the help Roy. Posting this pic was almost as much trouble as the blank caused me!!Jeff
PSIs it just me that can't get to the manage attachments button?Any suggestions?

dexter0606

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Just hope Kaspar doesn't mind I borrowed his idea.Thanks again for the help Roy.Still not sure why I can't attach a pic. I used to be able to.Jeff

workinforwood

I think I have to agree that the white layer is a bit bright for all those corian tones. But, still it is the best looking segmented corian pen I ever saw. It's not easy chopping up little pieces of corian to begin with. Very nice!

Daniel

Nice job. It is all to easy to try and get intricate and loose the balance of the design. you did a great job on this one.

Top Bottom