My 4th pen - Gatsby Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wongster

Wongster

Hi folks,

Nothing much to the pen unlike what others had shown. Still rather new to pen turning. This is my 4th pen from the bundle I bought from PSI. My daughter chose the Lava Bright Silk Sapphire Blue, which I thought will be hard to match with the chrome tip and gun metal holding portion (don't know what's that called). It turned out really nice! The blank is so easy to work with but the smell it gave out when turning gave me a headache.

Enough said, here is it:

39200620-3789-4E73-8F59-D183F4C3D642_zpsk0vs0awp.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Magnificent Pen, Kyle.
Glorious Blank, Superbly Turned, Fitted and Finished.
Great Partner to the Gatsby Grande.
Your Daughter has Good Taste.
Congratulations,
Brian.

mecompco

Very nice! Your fit and finish look really good. Chrome matches pretty much any blank, so it's almost always a good choice. Gold, less so, IMHO. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Michael

Wongster

Thanks for the encouragement, people.

I just finished turning and completed the last Gatsby Grande in the bundle. The blank used is Lava Bright Silk Emerald Green. I thought it would be hard to match this color and I was left with my last kit in the bundle; Gun metal with gold tip.

It turned out really pretty!

85D4ACEB-DC3C-4C68-B63B-6FDBF36B1AE4_zpse7ojvpvk.jpg

This round, I used the power feed to turn the pen, feeding the cross slide in bit by bit. The carbide tool with slight radius gave a finish that's comparable to the effect after using the purple finishing pad! When I was sanding with the first 3 pads (yellow to orange), the finish worsen but came back after the purple pad. Brass was used as the finishing polish. Now I can't bear to give this away... lol...

7157EE6F-E877-4644-9E69-2274D55507D6_zpstreb1uiy.jpg

357C5C41-F76F-4ED7-9B5B-197517746148_zpsgicsqo4h.jpg

The lava bright series has this 3D effect that's so lovely to behold.

The next bundle I purchased from PSI is the Rollester. There are 4 kits in that bundle and I ordered an extra kit with gun metal plating. This purchase was for a buddy at work. For blanks, he selected the carbon fiber and buffalo horn. Read that the buffalo horn stink during turning and has the tenancy to crack even days after the pen is done. Too late to back out now, the shipment is on the way... lol.

Just received some "orders" from colleagues and friends. Maybe I can make some money out of this to support my hobby.

Wongster

Looking good! I'm about to turn my first pen tomorrow. Letting the glue set overnight. Hope by my 4th pen I'm doing as well as you. :)

Go for it bro! Its fun! I chose single tube pen as my first few pens as they seemed easier for newbies. Also, reading the reviews on pen blanks helped (which are the brittle ones etc). And YouTube been my best teacher so far (I learn to play guitar on YouTube too). Watched many many many videos before I ordered my first shipment.

Enjoy and post pics.

Rolandranch

Your pens look really good!

Just to let you know, I have made many pens out of buffalo horn and have never had one crack. I don't know what makes them crack, but out of all the ones that I have done, I have never had that problem.

Wongster

Your pens look really good!

Just to let you know, I have made many pens out of buffalo horn and have never had one crack. I don't know what makes them crack, but out of all the ones that I have done, I have never had that problem.

Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear about that. I got the info from reviews on PSI site. Best part is, I checked the reviews only after purchasing the items.... lol.

To save on shipping, I opted for a consolidation service operating out of Oregon. It will probably reach me end of next week. Can't wait to start work on the Rollester kits and the new blanks I ordered. No more on hand to play with...

Rolandranch

Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear about that. I got the info from reviews on PSI site. Best part is, I checked the reviews only after purchasing the items.... lol.

To save on shipping, I opted for a consolidation service operating out of Oregon. It will probably reach me end of next week. Can't wait to start work on the Rollester kits and the new blanks I ordered. No more on hand to play with...
I do like the Rollester kit. It really shows off the wood/acrylic very well because it uses such a long blank. PSI has so many options it can be hard to know what to get sometimes.

Top Bottom