My 3rd Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pipemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipemaker

20052241648_eleg%20Amer.jpg

This is an Elegant American made from Cumberland rod.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Mike, that sure is a nice looking pen! Is that Cumberland rod something like Ebony? Do you have a link where we can get it? Thanks for sharing!

pipemaker

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging comments.

I apologize for not describing the Cumberland material in my original post.
This material is basically vulcanite rod with red pigment added during the manufacturing process. It is primarily used to make pipe stems.
This material is a joy to work with, much easier to turn than acrylic, yet is durable and stable. It also polishes very well.

Availability is sporadic, and it is somewhat expensive, a 3/4" X 20" piece costs $20
The only U.S. supplier that I am aware of is
http://www.pipemakers.org/ ( In spite of my user name, I am not connected with this company in any way)

They have a $100 minimum initial order but also carry some quality acrylic square stock.
If interested, it may be worthwhile emailing Andrea to see if she will waive the minimum. She is usually pretty accomodating.

PenWorks

Mike, very fine looking pen. Very classy. Some of us have been looking for ebonite. Thank you for posting it. They are right in my back yard. I called Andrea and left a message.

OT. Have you posted a picture of any of your pipes? I would love to see one. Maybe post one in "Casual conversation" Heck, if we look at duck calls, I'll look at a pipe! Besides, I have some questions on pipe making.

Anthony

dougle40

Nice pen Mike . I just checkd out that site and they do have sone nice materials there . Has anyone actually turned "Lucite" and just how does it turn ? There's some nice looking Lucite there and reasonably priced too .

pipemaker

Anthony,

Here is a close up of a couple of pieces of Cumberland. As you can see, it varies from rod to rod.

Here is a link to my pipes page:http://my.execpc.com/~maddog92/Pipes/pipes.html

200522503614_Cumberland.jpg
<br />

If anyone is interested, I will post a pic of the lucite colors since the images on the PME web site leave a lot to be desired.

PenWorks

Well I didn't want to addvertise this, but I am going there on Tuesday, I have appointment with Paul the owner. I allways wanted to make a pipe. I am going to pick some of that rod up. So if any one wants it, send me an e-mail. I'm sure I will go over their minimum purchase on my own.

Mike, great looking pipes, I have a bunch, use to smoke them all the time. I haven't fired one up in years. I like 246 & 295, or I really like them all. But those are the ones I would buy. Your pipe work is very fine. Great job. I may be calling you after I get my material.

Anthony

dougle40

WOW , Some really cool pipes there . Kind of reminds me of my younger years when my Grandfather was alive , all he smoked was a pipe and every year for Christmas I would go out and buy him a new pipe . He also used to like Cigars and someone would always get him a box of them and he'd take them and cut them up into pieces that would fit into his pipe and smoke them that way . (Good Memories)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom